The Student Room Group

Have I completely failed uni?

Hi all.
I'm going to preface this by saying I know there is always a way out, but I honestly feel like such a failure.
I'm currently in my second year of a BS in Economics.
I got pretty bad marks in first year: the first semester I averaged a 45, and the second semester I did really well (upper 2:1).

This year has been a bit of a mixed bag. I got good marks overall, but one module was bad (just a 2:2, with a low mark at the exam). I just got back another result for a midemester exam in the second semester and it was really bad as well (it was group work, so I'm not that upset with myself).

I just feel like I've blown my chances at a masters and I've blown my chances at getting even a high 2;1 in my degree right now
So in answer to your main question: have you failed uni? No! We all give ourselves very high expectations in life (I do this myself a lot so I get where you’re coming from) and when we don’t meet them, we beat ourselves up. However, I think there are a lot of positives in your story that you need to focus on more than the negatives. If you averaged 45% to begin with, and then got more in your second semester, that’s really great! Hey, it’s better than going backwards isn’t it? So this likely means your second year average grade is higher than your first year grade. So, my point is, you’re going forwards rather than backwards. In addition to this, you need find out how much your dissertation is worth in the final year because really, that’s your big determinant. My advice with a dissertation is create a word document immediately, whack a title in and do the front cover page straight away. Just making the word doc gives you a sense of starting. Therefore, in answer to the question “have you started your dissertation?” You can say “yeah I have”. This makes you feel a lot more confident and helps you to continue to add to your dissertation. Anyway, I hope this helps!
Thanks so much for your response.
I agree with you. It's just very hard right now to think this way, I feel like for my masters in particular, they are going to look at my transcript and if its full of 2;2s, passes and fails, it's genuinely not gonna look good, no matter if I averaged a 2;1.
Original post by Anonymous
So in answer to your main question: have you failed uni? No! We all give ourselves very high expectations in life (I do this myself a lot so I get where you’re coming from) and when we don’t meet them, we beat ourselves up. However, I think there are a lot of positives in your story that you need to focus on more than the negatives. If you averaged 45% to begin with, and then got more in your second semester, that’s really great! Hey, it’s better than going backwards isn’t it? So this likely means your second year average grade is higher than your first year grade. So, my point is, you’re going forwards rather than backwards. In addition to this, you need find out how much your dissertation is worth in the final year because really, that’s your big determinant. My advice with a dissertation is create a word document immediately, whack a title in and do the front cover page straight away. Just making the word doc gives you a sense of starting. Therefore, in answer to the question “have you started your dissertation?” You can say “yeah I have”. This makes you feel a lot more confident and helps you to continue to add to your dissertation. Anyway, I hope this helps!

speaking on the dissertation, do you think it is possible to do it all within a week? Deadline is fast approaching. I do have a title page somewhat ready.
Hi all.
I'm going to preface this by saying I know there is always a way out, but I honestly feel like such a failure.
I got pretty bad marks in first year: the first semester I averaged a 45, and the second semester I did really well (upper 2:1).

This year has been a bit of a mixed bag. I got good marks overall, but one module was bad (just a 2:2, with a low mark at the exam). I just got back another result for a midemester exam in the second semester and it was really bad as well (it was group work, so I'm not that upset with myself).

I just feel like I've blown my chances at a masters and I've blown my chances at getting even a high 2;1 in my degree right now

Have you looked at your degree regulations? Particularly how each year is weighted?
Hi all.

I just feel like I've blown my chances at a masters and I've blown my chances at getting even a high 2;1 in my degree right now.

Am I being overly dramatic? Will this reflect poorly on my decision for a masters?
Hi all.

I just feel like I've blown my chances at a masters and I've blown my chances at getting even a high 2;1 in my degree right now.

Am I being overly dramatic? Will this reflect poorly on my decision for a masters?

As I asked in your other, identical thread, have you looked at your degree regulations? Particularly how degrees are classified and the weighting for each year?
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you looked at your degree regulations? Particularly how each year is weighted?

Hi, yes I have. Year 1 does not count towards anything, Year is 32% and Year 3 is 68%.
My only concern is the fact that if I want to apply for a masters degree right after my UG, my Year 1 and Year 2 grades will be considered. Also, what's final year going to look like, if I'm struggling now.
Hi, yes I have. Year 1 does not count towards anything, Year is 32% and Year 3 is 68%.

My only concern is the fact that if I want to apply for a masters degree right after my UG, my Year 1 and Year 2 grades will be considered. Also, what's final year going to look like, if I'm struggling now.
Original post by ageshallnot
As I asked in your other, identical thread, have you looked at your degree regulations? Particularly how degrees are classified and the weighting for each year?
I really wouldn’t worry about getting in to do masters. They’re not bothered about your individual scores really. I will say something that was said to me when applying for my masters, they’ll always want to find a reason to take your money!

32 and 68 is a little odd. Which uni is this?

Assuming you're correct, if you get something low like 54 in second year you'll only need just under 63 in third year to hit the magic 60. In practice it's probably less than that because most unis have alternative methods of upgrading near misses, especially those who do better in final year.

As above, if you have the minimum requirement and the cash then you could certainly do a master's somewhere though not necessarily at the better universities.

As for the difficulty level, that's a matter for you to sort out. Why are you struggling? In some modules you did very well, in others poorly. What made the difference?
Hi all.

Degrees are typically increasingly weighted on the end years, so your third year will be the most important (generally 1st year is not worth anything , although this varies uni to uni), additionally one or two results won’t throw off a degree even if they are disappointing in the moment. Your overall average is what matters.

With a masters most will mostly be interested in a 2.1 plus (which from what you’ve said is attainable), id also note if there is a question about a candidates suitability one thing that they like to see is an upwards trajectory so if in 1st year you got a 2.2, this year you get a 2.1 and next year you get a high 2.1 or 1st you can make a very strong case depending on entry requirements.

Keep going & pushing yourself.
Hi all.

Hi,

First, I'd like to say congratulations on completing your first year! Regardless of the grades you received, I feel from the way you have worded this that you do care about your work and you tried the best you could at the time.

I saw you mention that your first year doesn't contribute towards your end grade. In which case, I would wipe it from your mind. There's nothing you can do about your past grades and worrying about it will do little apart from increase your stress levels. Instead, you can focus on what you can do next. Your second and third year are weighed differently, in favour of your last year. In that case, take everything you've learnt from the past two years: how you work best, how to structure your essays, and apply it all the best you can for your third year. Get a good start on your dissertation early on and try not to stress and overwork yourself too much.

You've definitely not blown your chance to do a masters or even at getting a 2:1, you've absolutely got this! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Thank you so much for cheering me up.
Today was very hard, I did try to motivate myself, but reading all your messages has truly put a lot into perspective.
I know that going forward I'm gonna buckle down and work harder than I ever have to ensure I succeed to my highest capabilities.

All the best!
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi,

First, I'd like to say congratulations on completing your first year! Regardless of the grades you received, I feel from the way you have worded this that you do care about your work and you tried the best you could at the time.

I saw you mention that your first year doesn't contribute towards your end grade. In which case, I would wipe it from your mind. There's nothing you can do about your past grades and worrying about it will do little apart from increase your stress levels. Instead, you can focus on what you can do next. Your second and third year are weighed differently, in favour of your last year. In that case, take everything you've learnt from the past two years: how you work best, how to structure your essays, and apply it all the best you can for your third year. Get a good start on your dissertation early on and try not to stress and overwork yourself too much.

You've definitely not blown your chance to do a masters or even at getting a 2:1, you've absolutely got this! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Thank you very much for this message!
Reading all your messages has truly been motivating. I am on track to get a 2:1 this year. But I really don't want to get side tracked and fall down a rabbit hole of negativity. I need to focus on nothing but success.

All the best,
Original post by mnot
Degrees are typically increasingly weighted on the end years, so your third year will be the most important (generally 1st year is not worth anything , although this varies uni to uni), additionally one or two results won’t throw off a degree even if they are disappointing in the moment. Your overall average is what matters.

With a masters most will mostly be interested in a 2.1 plus (which from what you’ve said is attainable), id also note if there is a question about a candidates suitability one thing that they like to see is an upwards trajectory so if in 1st year you got a 2.2, this year you get a 2.1 and next year you get a high 2.1 or 1st you can make a very strong case depending on entry requirements.

Keep going & pushing yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending