The Student Room Group

What A levels should I choose?

Hey, ive got not a clue what I want to take at a degree level and so far im thinking of taking:
-maths
-business
-biology
-AS psychology
For a level
But I'm not sure if this is the right choice. Does anyone know or taken one science (biology) and is this fine and will widen my options or is it a waste (as most degrees usually pair chemistry and biology) so I don't know if there is any point in it, also a lot of people saying on other posts that you shouldn't take biology if your taking one science as chemistry or physics are seen as higher, but I understand biology more and chemistry and physics are seen as quite hard.

I also don't have an essay based subject in the list either. Will this limit options for uni? And if I were to take an essay based subject I wouldn't want to take English so I'm not sure what I would take as history could be interesting but it is a lot of work and I'm only good at certain aspects of history like WW1 so not sure If id get the grade I want overall.

Also will these be to hard? I'm okay at maths and good in biology and business. I know business is considered a soft and easier subject so I'm not to worried about that but maths and biology? Especially if I've never really thought of going into a science degree before.

Thanks for reading :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I did biology, chemistry and maths A-levels and am doing Biochemistry at uni
When applying to uni they normally consider maths as a science so if you wanted to do biology and you need another science then you would be fine however some courses such as biochemistry normally require both or some require chemistry and another scince so depending on what you want to do at uni then you should be fine.
As for an essay subject it depends if you know what course you want to do and it is something like maths then no there isn't a big benefit in doing an essay subject if any (some would say it gives experience for dissertations etc) however if you haven't decided then it might be a good idea as it will keep your options open, someone at my school did chemistry, maths and history and ended up doing a history degree so don't need all essay subjects.
If you are just doing an essay based subject when the course you want to do doesn't require one I might suggest an EPQ which sometimes can lower entry requirements and for science subjects helps you get accepted as it shows your own research abilities as well as it being an essay
Original post by T1lly
Hey, ive got not a clue what I want to take at a degree level and so far im thinking of taking:
-maths
-business
-biology
-AS psychology
For a level
But im not sure if this is the right choice. Does anyone know or taken one science (biology) and is this fine and will widen my options or is it a waste (as most degrees usually pair chemistry and biology) so I dont know if there is any point in it.
I also dont have an essay based subject in the list either. Will this limit options for uni?
Also will these be to hard? Im okay at maths and good in biology and business. I know business is considered a soft and easy sucject so im not to worried about that but maths and biology? Especially if ive never really thought of going into a science degree before.
Thanks for reading :smile:

Heya!
If it helps, you can also use this uniguide alvl explorer to check what you can do with your combos :h: I would also recommend looking up some courses and looking at their entry requirements. Make a list of what is needed and pick from there.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I did biology, chemistry and maths A-levels and am doing Biochemistry at uni
When applying to uni they normally consider maths as a science so if you wanted to do biology and you need another science then you would be fine however some courses such as biochemistry normally require both or some require chemistry and another scince so depending on what you want to do at uni then you should be fine.
As for an essay subject it depends if you know what course you want to do and it is something like maths then no there isn't a big benefit in doing an essay subject if any (some would say it gives experience for dissertations etc) however if you haven't decided then it might be a good idea as it will keep your options open, someone at my school did chemistry, maths and history and ended up doing a history degree so don't need all essay subjects.
If you are just doing an essay based subject when the course you want to do doesn't require one I might suggest an EPQ which sometimes can lower entry requirements and for science subjects helps you get accepted as it shows your own research abilities as well as it being an essay

Thanks I didn't know maths may be considered as a science so that's good knowing my options wouldn't be completely restricted without chemistry. Would you say chemistry is lots harder than biology? As I've been searching and people are saying if your taking one science, you shouldn't take biology but physics or chemistry instead as they are seen higher than biology alone. But apparently chemistry is really hard and I do find it harder than GCSE biology so I don't really want to take it.
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
If it helps, you can also use this uniguide alvl explorer to check what you can do with your combos :h: I would also recommend looking up some courses and looking at their entry requirements. Make a list of what is needed and pick from there.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks will look at it now, hopefully I can make a solid decision on my options. :smile:
Original post by T1lly
Thanks I didn't know maths may be considered as a science so that's good knowing my options wouldn't be completely restricted without chemistry. Would you say chemistry is lots harder than biology? As I've been searching and people are saying if your taking one science, you shouldn't take biology but physics or chemistry instead as they are seen higher than biology alone. But apparently chemistry is really hard and I do find it harder than GCSE biology so I don't really want to take it.

Personally I found chemistry harder but I have always found biology a lot easier for me but for some people it is the other way round so that just depends person to person

Quick Reply

Latest