The Student Room Group

Trying for a baby

Me and my girlfriend have been discussing trying for a baby for about 12 months now and at the start of this year we agreed that we would start trying at the end of this year as we had no plans on the horizon and more importantly we’re not getting any younger.

However, a few weeks ago my parents mentioned taking us, my sisters and their partners and my nephew to Florida next year on a big family holiday. This now has thrown a bit of a spanner into the works as we don’t want to delay trying for a baby as we’re both in our late 20’s but also if we don’t go to Florida we’ll have to tell people the reason why.

I have said we’re just going to have to be honest but maybe just tell our parents for the time being why we don’t want to go on this big family holiday.

If anyone has any help or advice it would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my girlfriend have been discussing trying for a baby for about 12 months now and at the start of this year we agreed that we would start trying at the end of this year as we had no plans on the horizon and more importantly we’re not getting any younger.

However, a few weeks ago my parents mentioned taking us, my sisters and their partners and my nephew to Florida next year on a big family holiday. This now has thrown a bit of a spanner into the works as we don’t want to delay trying for a baby as we’re both in our late 20’s but also if we don’t go to Florida we’ll have to tell people the reason why.

I have said we’re just going to have to be honest but maybe just tell our parents for the time being why we don’t want to go on this big family holiday.

If anyone has any help or advice it would be appreciated.

When is the holiday being planned for and when do you think it will be booked?
Original post by Notnek
When is the holiday being planned for and when do you think it will be booked?

It’s being planned for next Easter and they’re thinking of booking it late Summer time. If mine and my girlfriends plans happen as we hope she may be 5/6 months pregnant by the time the holiday comes around.
Reply 3
It’s being planned for next Easter and they’re thinking of booking it late Summer time. If mine and my girlfriends plans happen as we hope she may be 5/6 months pregnant by the time the holiday comes around.

5/6 months pregnant is a popular time to go on holiday during pregnancy so is there a reason why you wouldn't want to go on holiday then? Of course you don't want to go on holiday closer to labour but it sounds like that won't happen if you start trying at the end of the year?
Original post by Notnek
5/6 months pregnant is a popular time to go on holiday during pregnancy so is there a reason why you wouldn't want to go on holiday then? Of course you don't want to go on holiday closer to labour but it sounds like that won't happen if you start trying at the end of the year?

The issue is we don't think Florida would be an enjoyable holiday whilst she is pregnant when there is A LOT of walking every day involved and on top of that she wouldn't be able to go on all the rides, so we feel like it would take away from the main reason the holiday is being planned. We have talked about it and said if it was just a beach holiday we'd be up for it but it's the fact it's a holiday to Florida that we don't really want to do whilst pregnant.
The issue is we don't think Florida would be an enjoyable holiday whilst she is pregnant when there is A LOT of walking every day involved and on top of that she wouldn't be able to go on all the rides, so we feel like it would take away from the main reason the holiday is being planned. We have talked about it and said if it was just a beach holiday we'd be up for it but it's the fact it's a holiday to Florida that we don't really want to do whilst pregnant.

In the event that she is pregnant by then you and your partner could find something else to do besides go to theme parks. There is a lot more to Florida than that! I'm sure your family would understand if she were to become pregnant between now and then that alternative plans would be made.

Also factor in that it may not happen right away. You could end up skipping a holiday and she not be pregnant at all.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 1582
In the event that she is pregnant by then you and your partner could find something else to do besides go to theme parks. There is a lot more to Florida than that! I'm sure your family would understand if she were to become pregnant between now and then that alternative plans would be made.

Also factor in that it may not happen right away. You could end up skipping a holiday and she not be pregnant at all.

We know there is more to Florida than just theme parks but that is the whole reason for the holiday so we don't want to go and not get the full experience out of the holiday. Additionally, the discussion has been to go by July at the latest next year, but my little sister is getting married in May 2025. If we do go on this holiday to Florida next year and delay trying to get pregnant we then run the chance of being close to having a kid when it is my sister's wedding.
Trying for a baby doesn't always happen like clockwork. It took 8 months of trying before we conceived our second son (the only one of our 4 kids that was actually actively planned).

On the flip-side, if you do manage to conceive soon after trying, your girlfriend will be in her 2nd trimester when you go on holiday which is the best time to go really - she'll have gotten past the morning sickness stage but not yet into the "help me I'm a beached whale and I cannot move" stage.

I mean it's up to you really - if you decide you're definitely not going just explain your reasons to your family, but if it were me personally I'd go regardless - a holiday is a holiday!
I got married and went on honeymoon when I was at the very beginning of my second trimester with my first baby. It was absolutely fine. Okay it wasn't Florida, it was Spain, but still it didn't stop me from walking around.
No point in making a decision until you actually know she’s pregnant. If she isn’t then you can go on the holiday but you shouldn’t automatically assume from this moment that you definitely won’t be able to go during her pregnancy, it might take longer to conceive than you think!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Trying for a baby doesn't always happen like clockwork. It took 8 months of trying before we conceived our second son (the only one of our 4 kids that was actually actively planned).

The fact that it doesn't always happen like clockwork is exactly why me and my girlfriend decided to start trying at the end of this year. That was our plan way before this holiday to Florida was mentioned. We agreed to start trying at the back end of this year because we have a big holiday coming up in August that we want to enjoy and then next year we had zero plans so it gave us plenty of time to try and get pregnant before my sisters wedding in May 2025.
Reply 10
Late 20s is not exactly ancient to start a family, so you might consider delaying if the holiday means a lot to you. This said you’re talking about planning for a major life milestone so if that’s the priority, why not let the family know the background and stick with your plans. You can go another time
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending