The Student Room Group

Suddenly want to do nursing towards the end of Y12

I suddenly really want to become a nurse but I don't have any work experience. Is it too late? Will I need to take a gap year?
I can't speak from great experience but I'm also in year 12 and have only just done my first work experience and am quite unsure of what course I want to do. You could always find a placement for half term or during summer to add to your application so imo if you're already pretty certain it definitely isn't too late to apply for 2024.
Original post by imloki
I suddenly really want to become a nurse but I don't have any work experience. Is it too late? Will I need to take a gap year?

It certainly isn't too late and you definitely don't need to take a gap year unless you really, really want to.
There were loads of people in my cohort who had come straight out of A levels with no prior nursing experience. Of the students I now mentor, there are as many with no prior experience whatsoever as there are those with some experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
It certainly isn't too late and you definitely don't need to take a gap year unless you really, really want to.
There were loads of people in my cohort who had come straight out of A levels with no prior nursing experience. Of the students I now mentor, there are as many with no prior experience whatsoever as there are those with some experience.

Does that mean I won't need to have work experience to go into nursing for Uni?
Original post by imloki
Does that mean I won't need to have work experience to go into nursing for Uni?

Correct - you don't need work experience for nursing. It's not a requirement.
Requirements for nursing at uni are A levels/equivalent (set individually by the university), GCSEs Maths & English, an occupational health check (organised by the university) and DBS (also organised through the university).
If you would like to get some work experience over the summer, or a regular Saturday work experience, that's great - the UCAS deadline is the same as all other "normal" places/courses (so, the January deadline not October one) - there's time to get stuff in. It's also no big deal whether you start your nursing degree straight after A levels or a few years down the line - I've mentored students aged between 18 and 45.
Reply 5
Original post by Emily_B
Correct - you don't need work experience for nursing. It's not a requirement.
Requirements for nursing at uni are A levels/equivalent (set individually by the university), GCSEs Maths & English, an occupational health check (organised by the university) and DBS (also organised through the university).
If you would like to get some work experience over the summer, or a regular Saturday work experience, that's great - the UCAS deadline is the same as all other "normal" places/courses (so, the January deadline not October one) - there's time to get stuff in. It's also no big deal whether you start your nursing degree straight after A levels or a few years down the line - I've mentored students aged between 18 and 45.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was really worried about the work experience. I guess I just need to worry about the interviews now.
Original post by imloki

Hello @imloki

I hope you're well. Remember, nothing in life is ever too late you just might need to change your plan of action :smile:
It depends on what you are currently studying in Y12 (A Levels or BTEC) and if these are the correct subjects to allow you to apply to nursing and if you meet the entry requirements. I would not say for a healthcare course that work experience is 100% necessary, I am a 3rd year student midwife and I didn't have any experience beforehand as it is quite hard to access.

I would advise you to see if you could volunteer at your local hospital, that would like good and something you could mention in your personal statement. If you have ever had a part time job I would also include this in your personal statement, finding transferable skills relevant to nursing. Have a look at prospective universities you may want to study at and see if your current or pending qualifications could work.

Best of luck!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending