The Student Room Group

I need advice, Failing First year of uni due to health issues

I need some advice. I'm in my first year of an Astrophysics Degree and its looking like I'm going to fail. I have a Btec in Applied science and I did a foundation year but I feel as though I was unprepared for a degree in Physics. Despite this I was doing okay in semester A but in January I found a lump and had to go for urgent surgery and it came back as Cancer, as far as we know its gone but there is a chance it could come back. Since then my grades have dropped and my motivation along with it. With all this health stuff and feeling not prepared, I'm tempted to take some time out of uni and study alevels in order to be more prepared and allow me some time to heal physically and mentally. My question is though, If I did get alevels and applied to university again will they take me if I failed a year at a different uni?
(edited 1 year ago)
You absolutely need to take some personal time. You can ask to suspend your studies on the grounds of ill health. A bigger question is whether this is the right course for you if you are not enjoying it.
Reply 2
Take a step back!!
A) You haven’t failed yet
B) You have huge mitigating circumstances !!
The first thing to do and NOW is see your personal tutor and ask for an interruption of studies which I can’t believe will be an issue. Then you concentrate 100% on your health, mental and physical. This kind of thing is bound to shake you up and make you anxious. It’s not surprising that your studies are suffering.
Once things have settled you’ll e able to see more clearly what is the best path for you, but at the moment your studies shouldn’t be your priority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending