The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Failing first year at York - What are my options?

It is now the end of the August resit period for the University of York.

In April of this year, I submitted, and was granted, an exceptional circumstances claim to have 'sit as if for the first time' (SAIFFT)status on all of my assessments. I can say without a doubt that I have failed during this period.

I am still unsure as to whether the SAIFFT means that I can resit them in the next academic year, although it's looking about 50/50 from the information stated here: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/progress/exceptional-circumstances/ under "knock on impacts of extensions and deferrals"

I am wondering that, if I am not allowed to resit during a leave of absence within the 2023/24 academic year, whether a claim to the special cases committee to retake first year either now or beginning in 2024 would have a reasonable chance of success.

I'll start by saying that I am not someone who partied too hard and messed up. In July 2022, my mum passed away rather suddenly, and I thought it would be a good idea to continue into my first year at uni anyway (surprise! that wasn't a good idea)

I have been suffering with some mental health issues, but due to me being a private person (much to my own detriment) I only have actual medical acknowledgement of this happening from a letter I got a week ago. I was previously engaging with the internal student support and counselling services at York, and engaging with my academic supervisor, but I did not find it possible to show the extent of the issues I was having.

Is it likely that these would classify as circumstances that meant I did not benefit from teaching the first time? I am mindful that Universities can somehow be both very specific and vague when publishing information on how their resits and assessment work (outside of their degree classification policy and weighting)

TL;DR - I am going to fail this year during the 'resit period' while having SAIFFT because my mum died at the beginning of it. What are my options to continue study in some form?

Sorry its a long read. I'd be really grateful for any help you can provide.

A
Original post by Anonymous
It is now the end of the August resit period for the University of York.

In April of this year, I submitted, and was granted, an exceptional circumstances claim to have 'sit as if for the first time' (SAIFFT)status on all of my assessments. I can say without a doubt that I have failed during this period.

I am still unsure as to whether the SAIFFT means that I can resit them in the next academic year, although it's looking about 50/50 from the information stated here: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/progress/exceptional-circumstances/ under "knock on impacts of extensions and deferrals"

I am wondering that, if I am not allowed to resit during a leave of absence within the 2023/24 academic year, whether a claim to the special cases committee to retake first year either now or beginning in 2024 would have a reasonable chance of success.

I'll start by saying that I am not someone who partied too hard and messed up. In July 2022, my mum passed away rather suddenly, and I thought it would be a good idea to continue into my first year at uni anyway (surprise! that wasn't a good idea)

I have been suffering with some mental health issues, but due to me being a private person (much to my own detriment) I only have actual medical acknowledgement of this happening from a letter I got a week ago. I was previously engaging with the internal student support and counselling services at York, and engaging with my academic supervisor, but I did not find it possible to show the extent of the issues I was having.

Is it likely that these would classify as circumstances that meant I did not benefit from teaching the first time? I am mindful that Universities can somehow be both very specific and vague when publishing information on how their resits and assessment work (outside of their degree classification policy and weighting)

TL;DR - I am going to fail this year during the 'resit period' while having SAIFFT because my mum died at the beginning of it. What are my options to continue study in some form?

Sorry its a long read. I'd be really grateful for any help you can provide.

A

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear this, it sounds like you've had a really difficult year. Our Student Hub will be able to offer some advice and guidance for you. You can either give them a call, send them an email or fill in the self-referral form (all details linked). It will also be worth trying again with your supervisor to explain to them the full situation.
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending