The Student Room Group

How does student finance work for mature students?

Hi all,

Long story short, I am a 26 year old woman and I am going to make the very unwise decision of eventually quitting my middle income job to go to university and peruse my dream of becoming a cinematographer. I have been feeling not great about my current job for a while but the salary is good considering the level of qualifications and experience I have. I live in London and love living here so would like to study here but I’m afraid of what will happen if I quit my job and go into full time study. Can I apply for student finance? And if so what is the typical amount I can borrow? I don’t have much in savings and have had previous bad credit so I can’t rely on personal loans. I’m not going to rush into the decision but I can’t spend the next 40 years in a job I don’t have passion for.
Hi @Babstography, this is really exciting for you and sounds great that you are following a career that you are passionate about!
I am also a mature student (I'm 24) and I receive a student loan the same as my younger peers. Age would not prevent you from getting a student loan; in fact, you may be eligible for a larger loan than some younger students as students over 25 are considered financially independent of their household, whereas younger students' loans are usually determined by their household income.

How much you can borrow depends on several factors, such as whether you have any financial dependents and are in receipt of any benefits. This student finance calculator should give you a rough estimate based on your circumstances.

Hopefully, you should be able to take out a decent loan, and there is always the option of working a part-time job alongside your studies. A lot of universities offer financial aid for students in need, too - it might be worth looking into this with your chosen university.

Good luck with your studies!

Nina
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Babstography
Hi all,

Long story short, I am a 26 year old woman and I am going to make the very unwise decision of eventually quitting my middle income job to go to university and peruse my dream of becoming a cinematographer. I have been feeling not great about my current job for a while but the salary is good considering the level of qualifications and experience I have. I live in London and love living here so would like to study here but I’m afraid of what will happen if I quit my job and go into full time study. Can I apply for student finance? And if so what is the typical amount I can borrow? I don’t have much in savings and have had previous bad credit so I can’t rely on personal loans. I’m not going to rush into the decision but I can’t spend the next 40 years in a job I don’t have passion for.

Hi there,

Students over 25 are classed as independent. If you have a partner we would use their income to determine how much you're eligible for. You can also use our online calculator for a rough estimate on how much you would be eligible for.

You did mention you hold qualification already, can you confirm what these are? Have you had finance before from us?

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending