The Student Room Group

Parents learning grant

Hi
I’m about to start a course with the open University and want to apply for the parent learning grant. However, I have since been informed that it s not eligible for open University students. I have been given conflicting information on this. Can somebody please clarify, and if possible signpost to relevant legislation on this.
Thanks so much
Original post by Shaz301204
Hi
I’m about to start a course with the open University and want to apply for the parent learning grant. However, I have since been informed that it s not eligible for open University students. I have been given conflicting information on this. Can somebody please clarify, and if possible signpost to relevant legislation on this.
Thanks so much

Hi there,

Open University courses are classed as part-time, which means you're not entitled to grants, including the Parents Learning Allowance.

If you want to know for sure you should make an application online as soon as possible and we'll confirm this.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 2
Hi

Thanks for replying. I was advised by SFE that OU courses were eligible so I applied. I phoned up SFE to get an update on my application and was told that I didn’t meet the criteria due to it being an OU course. Even though OU courses are classed as part time,the course intensity it full time so should be treated as such. Is there an appeals process?
Many thanks for your help.
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Open University courses are classed as part-time, which means you're not entitled to grants, including the Parents Learning Allowance.

If you want to know for sure you should make an application online as soon as possible and we'll confirm this.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Original post by Shaz301204
Hi

Thanks for replying. I was advised by SFE that OU courses were eligible so I applied. I phoned up SFE to get an update on my application and was told that I didn’t meet the criteria due to it being an OU course. Even though OU courses are classed as part time,the course intensity it full time so should be treated as such. Is there an appeals process?
Many thanks for your help.

There isn't, I'm sorry - it's just not possible for OU students to get this grant under any circumstances.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending