The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Reading?

I have visited both universities, i think that Reading Campus is really pretty and its close to London (this is very good for me as i want to pursue acting) but when i asked people who went to reading what they liked about it all the could say was its close to London. Nothing about the school or its facilities which is what i was interested in knowing more about because i already know where it is. Where as when i went to Newcastle they could say a lot about the facilities and had many student ambassadors there saying good things about the course and university as well as the location. So its just been painted out to me that Newcastle is a bit better? but being close to London is quite important to me for acting. But in the end ill still get the same degree so does it really matter which one i go to? If anyone has any useful info about either uni it would be much appreciated.
Is this for an accounting and finance degree?
Reading apparently has good student support and good employability.sorry I'm not sure about Newcastle
You could compare the modules of your two courses and then decide based on that!
Just to clarify theyre the exact same degree. its the flyingstart program
Congratulations! Thats a great course to get onto.

I've lived in Reading near to the university and visited the university to see friends in academia a few times.

Given it is the same course with a very strong route to future employment I think the question is broadly about which environment you would like to be in for four years. I'd find both options attractive. I could give my pros and cons but they wouldn't be yours.

What do you see as the attractions and downsides of each?
Reply 5
I've been in Newcastle for many years, and I've been to reading quite a few times in the past.

In terms of location Newcastle will be better if you don't mind the colder weather, and the city is larger also. the Newcastle university is spread across the city.

I have no knowledge of the degree in acting though so unfortunately I can't help with that.

reading university is quite far out on the outskirts. you need to take a bus, rather than walk. I hate taking the bus, so I don't like reading for that reason.

in terms of proximity to London, thats up to you to weigh up. I cannot weigh the importance of being close to london tbh.
Original post by Katy_whisper
I have visited both universities, i think that Reading Campus is really pretty and its close to London (this is very good for me as i want to pursue acting) but when i asked people who went to reading what they liked about it all the could say was its close to London. Nothing about the school or its facilities which is what i was interested in knowing more about because i already know where it is. Where as when i went to Newcastle they could say a lot about the facilities and had many student ambassadors there saying good things about the course and university as well as the location. So its just been painted out to me that Newcastle is a bit better? but being close to London is quite important to me for acting. But in the end ill still get the same degree so does it really matter which one i go to? If anyone has any useful info about either uni it would be much appreciated.

Hey @Katy_whisper!

Great questions there:smile:
I would agree with the posts so far whereby, ultimately, it depends on what is most important to you as to which university would be the best for you personally. It's important to think about where you think you would feel most at home as well as all the things regarding the course, as you'll have to feel comfortable living there for some time!

I don't study in this particular school, but Neha , one of our current students, does and she may be able to give you a good insight into what the course is like and what studying in Henley Business School at Reading is really like too.

I'm in my third year at Reading and I personally love living here, but that is based on my personal preferences! I love how beautiful and green the campus is, and that you have everything you need in one place. There's also great facilities such as the brand new 5 floor library, good gym and some lovely cafes and bars on site too. Each school has their own library liaison too, which is super helpful for all your study questions and for help finding everything you need for your course in the library! Reading also has some of the best transport links, so getting anywhere is super easy. As you know, it's only a 20-25 minute train ride from London, 1 hour 30 from Cardiff, and so many other places are easily accessible too, which makes travelling super easy. Campus is only a 30-40 minute walk away from town and there's plenty of bus links if you'd rather! Town has everything you need too, from the Oracle shopping centre to the Riverfront which is full of all the best places to eat along the river.
Reading is definitely somewhere that could suit any lifestyle, as it isn't too 'loud', but there's also plenty of options around if you are into a busier lifestyle such as nightlife!
It definitely depends on what you're looking for individually, but if you have any questions at all, please do let me know!

Good luck with your choosing!
Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending