The Student Room Group

Is it too late to get extra time in my A Levels?

Hi, I start my A-Level exams in less than a month but am starting to suspect that I need extra time. I do essay subjects but whenever the paper contains a passage to read, I always end up taking ages and never finishing. I thought this problem would be resolved before my exams and that I just needed more practice but it seems like it could be to do with my reading speed. For context, I already have special arrangements of being able to use a laptop in an exam due to my poor handwriting, so I wouldn't be surprised if these two problems are linked and I have an underlying learning disability.

I don't want to ask for extra time if there is a deadline that has already passed as I don't want it to seem like I'm fishing for a way to get an advantage in the exams (which is partly what has put me off of asking for so long) so if someone could let me know that would be great.
just apply. if you don’t get it, you don’t get it. but it’s better to apply and not loose the opportunity to try. the people who give you extra time etc only do so if you have an actual reason, for example, dyslexia, low comprehension etc. so if you pass the necessary criteria, then you get it. they’re not there to judge why you’re applying, only there to see if you’re eligible.
Reply 2
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
just apply. if you don’t get it, you don’t get it. but it’s better to apply and not loose the opportunity to try. the people who give you extra time etc only do so if you have an actual reason, for example, dyslexia, low comprehension etc. so if you pass the necessary criteria, then you get it. they’re not there to judge why you’re applying, only there to see if you’re eligible.

thank you
Reply 3
Original post by poppy2022
Hi, I start my A-Level exams in less than a month but am starting to suspect that I need extra time. I do essay subjects but whenever the paper contains a passage to read, I always end up taking ages and never finishing. I thought this problem would be resolved before my exams and that I just needed more practice but it seems like it could be to do with my reading speed. For context, I already have special arrangements of being able to use a laptop in an exam due to my poor handwriting, so I wouldn't be surprised if these two problems are linked and I have an underlying learning disability.
I don't want to ask for extra time if there is a deadline that has already passed as I don't want it to seem like I'm fishing for a way to get an advantage in the exams (which is partly what has put me off of asking for so long) so if someone could let me know that would be great.

Were you able to receive it ?
Reply 4
Original post by hope.77
Were you able to receive it ?

nope. I'm pretty sure the national deadline for this is a few months before actual exam season but you can double check with your school

Quick Reply

Latest