The Student Room Group

Assessment grades

I have a module with the following assessments and weightings:
Test 1 - 20%
Test 2 - 20%
Test 3 - 60%

I recently did a extenuating circumstances claim for test 1 and it was accepted. The decision was to adjust the weighting of the other modules accordingly. Just wanted help in figuring out what the new weightings would be for test 2 and test 3.

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
I have a module with the following assessments and weightings:
Test 1 - 20%
Test 2 - 20%
Test 3 - 60%

I recently did a extenuating circumstances claim for test 1 and it was accepted. The decision was to adjust the weighting of the other modules accordingly. Just wanted help in figuring out what the new weightings would be for test 2 and test 3.

Thank you

It's not clear what is meant by "adjust the weighting of the other modules accordingly", but if Test 1 is being ignored completely now (i.e. it's 0%) then to keep the relative weighings between Test 2 and Test 3, it'd be Test 2 at 25% and Test 3 at 75%.
Original post by DataVenia
It's not clear what is meant by "adjust the weighting of the other modules accordingly", but if Test 1 is being ignored completely now (i.e. it's 0%) then to keep the relative weighings between Test 2 and Test 3, it'd be Test 2 at 25% and Test 3 at 75%.

Can you tell me how you worked it out please?
Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Can you tell me how you worked it out please?
Thank you

Sure. If we're ignoring Test 1, then we have Test 2 (at 20%) and Test 3 (at 60%). Those sum to 80%. So we need 20% as a proportion of 80% (i.e. 1/4 or 25%); similarly, we want 60% as a proportion of 80% (i.e. 3/4, or 75%).

This is all based on the assumption that "adjust the weighting of the other modules accordingly" means that you are not being asked to complete Test 1 at all, and that all your marks will come from Test 2 and Test 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending