The Student Room Group

University grades

Hi,

I was wondering if I get really high in my exams and I didn't do so well on the assignment could unis change the percentage of the assignment to weigh less against the exam. For example:

Exam 70% Assignment 30%
Exam 75% Assignment 25%

Have you guys every heard of this happening at any universities?
Reply 1
No this isn't possible. The weightings are hard wired into the system.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
No this isn't possible. The weightings are hard wired into the system.

I was just wondering because during the semester in one of my modules my lecturer's changed one of the weightings of a combination of quizzes throughout the year from 5% to 20% because people were doing very good in it to boost the grade. This is why I was wondering.
Reply 3
Ok so the question is whether what was changed was an official assessment component. If the quizzes were hidden inside a component, along with other elements, then that would be possble as long as it was published in advance and in writing within the assessment brief.
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
Ok so the question is whether what was changed was an official assessment component. If the quizzes were hidden inside a component, along with other elements, then that would be possble as long as it was published in advance and in writing within the assessment brief.

the quizzes were an official assesment component. They show up on my results sheet. That's why I was under the assumption that maybe they can change percentages for somethings
Reply 5
So the assessment brief for the quizzes was originially weighted at 25%? This was what was published in the assesignemnt brief at the start of the module?
Then, at some later point, it was adjusted to 30%?
Was this done formally through a new assessment brief?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cheadle
So the assessment brief for the quizzes was originially weighted at 25%? This was what was published in the assesignemnt brief at the start of the module?
Then, at some later point, it was adjusted to 30%?
Was this done formally through a new assessment brief?

It was originally at 5% until the middle of the year and they changed it to 20% and lowered the exam to 50% and made the other assignment 30%. Also, we just got a email saying the quizzes weighting has been changed from 5% to 20% and the other weightings have been changed.
Reply 7
So 3 components
Quizzes 20%
Exam 50%
Other Assessment 30%

If you got official notification of this within a reasonable timeframe, and the changes were not thought to be too significant, it could be signed off but it is a bit unusual.

Can I ask what year you are in?
Reply 8
Original post by cheadle
So 3 components
Quizzes 20%
Exam 50%
Other Assessment 30%

If you got official notification of this within a reasonable timeframe, and the changes were not thought to be too significant, it could be signed off but it is a bit unusual.

Can I ask what year you are in?

I am in my final year.
Reply 9
Ok I can see your concern here.
I don't think there is anything you can do at this stage except wait for your overall module grade.
If the module assessment doesn;t require that you pass each component, then you will get a grade based on the weightings as published (which is presumably the adjusted ones).
Once you know your module grade, you could do an alternative calculation to see what you would have got if the old weightings had stood. The difference might be be insignificant in terms of impact on your degree classification.
If you think you have been unfairly affected by the weightings changes, then you might have grounds for an appeal BUT only if the changes were made without following the proper protocols.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending