The Student Room Group

Do you think the marking system at uni is unfair at times?

I was talking to some of my friends today about this and I was honestly so surprised by the grade boundaries in some of our subjects and departments. For example, one of my friends who studies film and another in Biology only need to get 70% for an A. Whereas I study Comp Lit and a low A5 is 80% and very few people I know have managed to get this grade. Another friend of mine has told me that in their politics dept. the markers sometimes give students B2s anyway if they can't be arsed to mark it properly. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Reply 1
Is this a Scottish thing?
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Is this a Scottish thing?

Yes, in scotland our marks are split up into a higher band of a grade (A1 would be the highest A grade achieved) and a lower band of a grade (A5 would be the lowest A grade achieved).
Reply 3
Original post by lpower100
Yes, in scotland our marks are split up into a higher band of a grade (A1 would be the highest A grade achieved) and a lower band of a grade (A5 would be the lowest A grade achieved).

Yeah, I'd not come across it till I was poking for a job north of the border. I don't know too much about it, really. Do you get a grade on your degree cert or a classification? There must be some justification for the difference in boundaries but I don't know what it might be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending