The Student Room Group

failing my yr 12 a levels

here's a quick summary of my academic life so far: my gcses are great, got 6s and 7s and 8s. im currently in year 12, and i hate everything about school. i've been failing all my subjects so far, and im very lazy and prone to procrastination. my AS exams start on the last week of June, so i have 11 weeks to prepare. however, it means i have 25 topics (for all of my subjects combined) to study before then, and since my results are already rubbish, i already know my predicted grade will be low if i dont get atleast As in my AS exams.

leading up to this though, i have been taking alot of detailed notes for each of my subjects, and it makes me very annoyed, since my notes are always perfect yet my test scores are always rubbish. it doesnt make sense to me. however, i believe it is too late to make new notes on absolutely everything, as it will take too much time for me to do.

my question is: how can i revise correctly to make sure my AS exam results are atleast As? can i even get all As at this rate since im already failing terribly? is there still hope? how do i manage work-life balance??
most importantly, what will happen if i fail my AS exams? will i not be able to do yr 13? im too scared to ask my teachers, since i dont want them thinking im stupid. im not stupid, im just very lazy.

please help me :frown:
Reply 1
TLDR: past papers are for me the best method of revision, do them in timed condition for your respective subjects and mark them harshly using mark schemes, examiners reports etc. scrutinise your exam technique and focus on maximising your potential marks by evaluating gaps in your knowledge and understanding, as these are clearly exposed by your past papers results. your detailed notes may be helpful here in filling in gaps. 25 topics may sound like a lot but split them up and prioritise by ordering them in difficulty, length etc.

your gcses sound great, your're clearly an academically capable student. dont underestimate yourself. you have plenty of time left, but it may be time to consider different revision strategies than the usual note taking. effective revision is different for everyone, but your current method isnt getting you results and most importantly is not motivating. please dont be scared to ask your teachers for help, end of the day they are getting paid and have a responsibility to help you, not sit there and humiliate you. if you dont want to ask your teachers then consider others in the department that dont necessarily teach you.
procrastination is a big issue, but it helps when you have a clear goal in mind and therefore motivation. as-levels are not the end of the world, but you should aim to do well as they can determine a big part of your UCAS predicted grades. these same grades may be used to apply to uni; think about what you want from your a-levels by the end of all this and what they can do for you in the long-term. you will thank yourself down the line.
dont burnout from overworking, one of the biggest mistakes a student can make. take time off whenever you feel necessary, do something you find enjoyable and dont feel like you have to give up on hobbies just because of looming exams. an effective work-life balance is subjective, so dont base your individual needs on other peoples typical days.
best of luck.
Original post by denisthemenace1
here's a quick summary of my academic life so far: my gcses are great, got 6s and 7s and 8s. im currently in year 12, and i hate everything about school. i've been failing all my subjects so far, and im very lazy and prone to procrastination. my AS exams start on the last week of June, so i have 11 weeks to prepare. however, it means i have 25 topics (for all of my subjects combined) to study before then, and since my results are already rubbish, i already know my predicted grade will be low if i dont get atleast As in my AS exams.

leading up to this though, i have been taking alot of detailed notes for each of my subjects, and it makes me very annoyed, since my notes are always perfect yet my test scores are always rubbish. it doesnt make sense to me. however, i believe it is too late to make new notes on absolutely everything, as it will take too much time for me to do.

my question is: how can i revise correctly to make sure my AS exam results are atleast As? can i even get all As at this rate since im already failing terribly? is there still hope? how do i manage work-life balance??
most importantly, what will happen if i fail my AS exams? will i not be able to do yr 13? im too scared to ask my teachers, since i dont want them thinking im stupid. im not stupid, im just very lazy.

please help me :frown:

You cannot rely on good notes to do well at A-level. You need to be revising as you go along, using methods involving active recall (flashcards and blurting for example) as well as practise exam technique in practise questions and past papers.
Look over your in class tests, topic tests maybe and figure out what you don't know. It will help focus your revision rather than going over everything and quitting half way through because you feel like your forcing yourself to relearn things you already know. With the laziness and procrastination there's nothing much you can do than just force yourself to start and hope you don't get distracted. (Something I'm clearly not good at seeing i'm on TSR instead of revising)

Maybe note taking isn't your best form of revision. Mine isn't which is why I barely make notes other then when I'm initially learning content and those are very badly made. Figure out what your best form of revision is videos, flashcards, past papers whatever it is to make sure you actually know the content you are trying to test yourself on. Then do past papers and exam questions to learning answering style.

Then finally this isn't the best advice for you to follow as you should always try to do your best. But as long as your working hard and your teachers can see that many (but not all) aren't opposed to bumping your grade up to get what you need. That doesn't mean that if you want to be predicted an A you should settle for a D and see if it can be bumped up to an A. But if you put in the work and your teachers can see that then getting a B in these tests shouldn't be the end of the world it should be a stepping stone to getting an even better result. Unless you are planning to be early entry there will definitely be another mock before you need to apply which will help your teachers find your realistic grade. Remember teachers have seen it all and will be able to recognise a hard working/high achieving student from one that isn't such.

And like someone else said don't burn yourself out. Year 13 is so much harder so you should go into it at least knowing the content you need to know even if your don't do the best at the actual exams. There's always time to improve. Keep your head up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest