The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Southampton University lenient with grades?

Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB
Original post by Lemon 24
Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB

Some courses are more popular than others, which will impact how flexible they can be on results day.

For a subject like Cardiac Physiology (Healthcare Science), for example, the standard offer is ABB (BBB contextual), but most students achieve AAB - i.e. above the standard offer. (Source) For such a course, they're unlikely to be flexible as they're likely to have enough candidates who've met their offer grades.

Which course have you applied for?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Some courses are more popular than others, which will impact how flexible they can be on results day.

For a subject like Cardiac Physiology (Healthcare Science), for example, the standard offer is ABB (BBB contextual), but most students achieve AAB - i.e. above the standard offer. (Source) For such a course, they're unlikely to be flexible as they're likely to have enough candidates who've met their offer grades.

Which course have you applied for?

ive applied for cardiac physiology haha
ive applied for cardiac physiology haha

Lucky guess. :u:
Reply 4
Lucky guess. :u:

hey would it be ok if i ask the uni how many spaces they have for the course?

Its not about 'leniency'.

It all depends on how well other Firm applicants do, how many course spaces are filled by those meeting their offer grades, and then how many, if any, spaces are left - and then how that Uni decides to fill them, either with 'near miss' applicants or in Clearing, and if its with near-miss, if they pick you.

And btw, if you work you socks off now you might not even be a near-miss.
hey would it be ok if i ask the uni how many spaces they have for the course?

Sure - I don't thing there'd be any problem telling you.

My guess is that there are about 280 spaces. This is based upon the fact that the National Student Survey data available here says, "Data from 210 students (75% of those who were asked)" and "All final year students are asked to complete the National Student Survey." So if they asked all final year students, and the 210 responses is 75% of that number, then that number must have been 280. Of course, that's final year students and the course might have shrunk or grown since then.
Reply 7
Sure - I don't thing there'd be any problem telling you.

My guess is that there are about 280 spaces. This is based upon the fact that the National Student Survey data available here says, "Data from 210 students (75% of those who were asked)" and "All final year students are asked to complete the National Student Survey." So if they asked all final year students, and the 210 responses is 75% of that number, then that number must have been 280. Of course, that's final year students and the course might have shrunk or grown since then.

hey i also wanted to ask if i was likely to get in if i had the grades ABC?
hey i also wanted to ask if i was likely to get in if i had the grades ABC?

Well, if your offer is BBB (which you mentioned in your first post) then ABC won't meet that requirement. So they'd be under no obligation to confirm your place and it'd be down to the numbers again. If, after having confirmed the place for all those who met their offer grades, they still have space then they may look to "near miss" candidates, such as those with ABC against a BBB offer.

Their subject requirements specify at least one science. If that one science was the A rather than the C, then you'd be in a better position that if the science were the C grade.
Reply 10
Well, if your offer is BBB (which you mentioned in your first post) then ABC won't meet that requirement. So they'd be under no obligation to confirm your place and it'd be down to the numbers again. If, after having confirmed the place for all those who met their offer grades, they still have space then they may look to "near miss" candidates, such as those with ABC against a BBB offer.

Their subject requirements specify at least one science. If that one science was the A rather than the C, then you'd be in a better position that if the science were the C grade.

Hey sorry to bother you but if I was going to MMU, how lenient do you think they will be. The offer's BBB but they said C in a science subject
Hey sorry to bother you but if I was going to MMU, how lenient do you think they will be. The offer's BBB but they said C in a science subject

As MMU no longer offer "BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)", I assume this is for "BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Physiological Sciences)". Is that right?

The BBB part of their offer is a bit of a red herring. Their requirement is 120 UCAS points, and they've just mapped that to BBB for your convenience. You could achieve the same points with ABC or with A*CC, for example.

It's not really a matter of them being "lenient", it's just a numbers game. They confirm the places of the candidates who've met their offer grades and then see if they have any spaces left. If they do, they either accept some "near miss" candidates or open the course to new applications via Clearing (or both).

In the past, it appears that they've accepted students with lower than BBB because the most populate A levels studies (and grades achieved) for that course at MMU are Biology (C), Chemistry (C) and Psychology (B) - source.

However, there's no guarantee that the same will be true this year.

In my personal experience, two of my close friends missed their Soton offer by one grade each on results day and were rejected. This was for marine biology and history though so i'm not sure if that answers your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending