The Student Room Group

Being accepted with lower grades

I have conditional offers for my firm choice (University of Southampton -AAB) and my insurance choice (University of Surrey -ABB) to study accounting and finance.
I'm hoping to get AAB to get into Southampton as I really want to go there. However, in the midst of these exams I'm getting stressed as to whether or not I will be able to get these grades but I heard from some that you could potentially get into your chosen uni despite getting lower grades?

I'm not very sure about this but I'm hoping that someone here can give me any further info about this.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Maevey
I have conditional offers for my firm choice (University of Southampton -AAB) and my insurance choice (University of Surrey -ABB) to study accounting and finance.
I'm hoping to get AAB to get into Southampton as I really want to go there. However, in the midst of these exams I'm getting stressed as to whether or not I will be able to get these grades but I heard from some that you could potentially get into your chosen uni despite getting lower grades?

I'm not very sure about this but I'm hoping that someone here can give me any further info about this.

Thank you :smile:

Universities make offers on set grades and anybody who meets those grades gets in. If a university has 100 places and only say 90 people who met their offers then they might decide to take 10 nearest misses instead of going into clearing. This happens very often but nobody knows until results day.
Reply 3
Unis will tend to accept individuals they have offered to but who just miss their grades - they would much rather have someone keen to attend that uni and that course rather than pick up someone in clearing who knows little about the course and university.

'Just miss' is the key phrase here. You have been offered AAB from Southampton. If you get a grade below, say ABB there is a high chance they will take you - if places are available. If you are two grades off then the chances are slim. You may be offered less popular courses instead. If your heart is set on accounting and finance and you end up with BBB, there will be decent unis in clearing offering this degree. If your heart is set on Southampton then think through what you would do if you are offered an alternative course - say business studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending