The Student Room Group

Can patients ever know more than doctors?

Or are doctors always right?
I would imagine that there are plenty of areas that doctors know **** all about that their patients have a PhD in...
Original post by black tea
I would imagine that there are plenty of areas that doctors know **** all about that their patients have a PhD in...

But people would rather believe the doctor or "the professional" than the patient
Sure, they can lie to the doctor.

Lousy patients.
Original post by StriderHort
Sure, they can lie to the doctor.

Lousy patients.

As in can they know more about their health conditions than the doctor?

Why would you want to lie to your doctor?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anony345533
But people would rather believe the doctor or "the professional" than the patient

Not 100% sure what you are trying to say here
I mean if you're a patient who happens to be a doctor then yes there are some patients that know more than doctors.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean if you're a patient who happens to be a doctor then yes there are some patients that know more than doctors.

But what if you're a patient that isn't a doctor, can you know more than doctors then?
In many cases, yes. Patients live with chronic conditions every day of their lives. They know what makes them better and worse and have probably done a whole lot of research into it, where the doctor might have had an hour long lecture 20 years ago about that specific condition (if at all). That's not to say doctors don't still have a role - they absolutely do, and know more about the body as a whole and how different things might work. But a good one will be prepared to listen and learn from your experience, do their own research, and if they're not sure, pass you onto someone who may be able to help more.
(edited 1 year ago)
As in can they know more about their health conditions than the doctor?

Why would you want to lie to your doctor?

Yes, they will have sensory information, experiences and feelings that the doctor isn't aware of unless they are told.

People lie to their doctor (and almost all professionals) all the time because they think they know better. or that all the doctors are out to 'get them'.
Original post by StriderHort
Yes, they will have sensory information, experiences and feelings that the doctor isn't aware of unless they are told.

People lie to their doctor (and almost all professionals) all the time because they think they know better. or that all the doctors are out to 'get them'.

Doctors are trained though, one time I was looking down and they asked me if I was depressed, another time they knew I had an eating disorder without me even saying it and I kept denying it, I didn't even say anything in an ED way to my GP for them to refer me. Sometimes they can just tell. Another time I didn't say anything and my GP asked me "you seem really hostile, have you seen a psychiatrist?"

Mental health professionals can read feelings more.
(edited 1 year ago)
But what if you're a patient that isn't a doctor, can you know more than doctors then?

If your doctor is poor/useless then yeah, maybe or furryface12 raises a good point.
Doctors are trained though, one time I was looking down and they asked me if I was depressed, another time they knew I had an eating disorder without me even saying it and I kept denying it, I didn't even say anything in an ED way to my GP for them to refer me. Sometimes they can just tell. Another time I didn't say anything and my GP asked me "you seem really hostile, have you seen a psychiatrist"

GPs aren't just there to prescribe paracetamol, you know, they have a degree and years of clinical experience, of course they can sometimes "just tell" (aka make a diagnosis)
Doctors are trained though, one time I was looking down and they asked me if I was depressed, another time they knew I had an eating disorder without me even saying it and I kept denying it, I didn't even say anything in an ED way to my GP for them to refer me. Sometimes they can just tell. Another time I didn't say anything and my GP asked me "you seem really hostile, have you seen a psychiatrist?"

Mental health professionals can read feelings more.

The training more helps to interpret the information presented rather than read someone's mind.

As @furryface12 pointed out, a patient has 24/7 experience of their body in a way a doctor doesn't and sporadic tests only get you so much of the picture, and as said, people lie a lot, tbh people with EDs have a rep for a lot of denial and lying.

For feelings, meh I'd possibly argue that empathy and patience plays a significant role, and anyone can learn these outside of a profession. Again people lie to them all the time to avoid facing weakness, bad choices or again a fear of persecution.
Sometimes yes
I knew that my daughter had meningitis, because I'd already been through it a couple of years previously with my son, however I had to fight tooth and nail for the doctors in the hospital to take it seriously and actually give her a lumbar puncture. They didn't want to believe me. Lo and behold, I was correct.
Not a single person is ALWAYS right.
Original post by furryface12
In many cases, yes. Patients live with chronic conditions every day of their lives. They know what makes them better and worse and have probably done a whole lot of research into it, where the doctor might have had an hour long lecture 20 years ago about that specific condition (if at all). That's not to say doctors don't still have a role - they absolutely do, and know more about the body as a whole and how different things might work. But a good one will be prepared to listen and learn from your experience, do their own research, and if they're not sure, pass you onto someone who may be able to help more.

This^^^

Quick Reply

Latest