The Student Room Group

Uni is Confusing

Is anyone always confused at uni or is it just me??

I am in my third year, nearly done, and I wanted to make a checklist to refer to when completing my projects (design course so no exams just a submission of all our work). Yet I realised there are so many things that I have no clue how much there really is to do? They do give us a checklist eventually but very late.

The uni sends so many emails and it feels like they are worded so weirdly on purpose and I have no clue what they are talking about half the time. I do ask tutors to clarify things but I have had issues with the whole uni environment basically social anxiety, and I really feel like they don't like me so after three times of asking I don't anymore.

But overall it feels like everyone knows what projects to do and I am so lost. They put stuff up on our uni website but I would just love a simplified version of what they want us to complete for our submission why does it all feel so complex?
I have one lecturer who is a bit like that. We all get a handbook posted online to refer back to if we need reminding of what's expected in a module, but this one lecturer has a habit of using this impenetrable, academic language to describe the assignments...

Like instead of saying "create some media, and write an essay about it", which is what the assignment really is about, it will be something like "submit a portfolio of digital artefacts, with accompanying academic literature in support of said artefacts, synthesising domain relevant learning in a holistic approach to the syllabus"...

Just speak plain English for Christ's sake...
Original post by GabbsterGreen
Is anyone always confused at uni or is it just me??

I am in my third year, nearly done, and I wanted to make a checklist to refer to when completing my projects (design course so no exams just a submission of all our work). Yet I realised there are so many things that I have no clue how much there really is to do? They do give us a checklist eventually but very late.

The uni sends so many emails and it feels like they are worded so weirdly on purpose and I have no clue what they are talking about half the time. I do ask tutors to clarify things but I have had issues with the whole uni environment basically social anxiety, and I really feel like they don't like me so after three times of asking I don't anymore.

But overall it feels like everyone knows what projects to do and I am so lost. They put stuff up on our uni website but I would just love a simplified version of what they want us to complete for our submission why does it all feel so complex?

Yeah I also had a similar experiences. With my poetry module it was like she was just trying to complicate things to sound smart. I already didn't like poetry but that made it so much worse. There will be some lecturers like that unfortunately. I'm currently in my second year and it has just gotten worse and I'm assuming probably won't get any better in year 3. I had a lecturer that would just speech at you with really complicated terminology without really explaining much and an English seminar where the dude would just talk the whole time instead of any open discussions. I am really struggling this year. I also have really bad social anxiety and have a hard time reaching out. My plan is to hopefully just get a 2,1 and get the hell out of there. I haven't made friends its not been the experience everyone says it is.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending