The Student Room Group

Third class degree

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me here.
I studied an Undergraduate degree and I got third class degree. This is because I lost my Mum in second year, I had to undergo counselling due to stress and my friends said not to take a gap year because studies may take my mind off things. However, I did what I could and now I am stuck.

I applied for Masters degree, hoping to boost my grades, the university I applied at offered me a place and I confirmed my interest on the place, the sent me welcome back confirmation and I was just waiting upon enrolment now. However, I just happen to call the department that I am still waiting on enrolment, they said we are sorry we cannot go ahead with your application due to third class degree.

They first accepted me and asked me to provide a strong academic reference with my degree and I did. Now they backed off. What do I do? Honestly, I am stressing, I need to get into the masters to improve my grades?

Any thoughts?.......
I would have a look through this website to see which masters programs outright accept or will still consider third class degree holders:
https://www.findamasters.com/masters-degrees/?Keywords=third+class+honours
I am not too sure about a master's degree compensating for poor performance in a bachelor's degree. I don't think that's the right reason to do one, but I don't want to be one of those ***** who talks down what people want to do, it may work out for you, I don't know.
Reply 2
Original post by Master0fReality
I would have a look through this website to see which masters programs outright accept or will still consider third class degree holders:
https://www.findamasters.com/masters-degrees/?Keywords=third+class+honours
I am not too sure about a master's degree compensating for poor performance in a bachelor's degree. I don't think that's the right reason to do one, but I don't want to be one of those ***** who talks down what people want to do, it may work out for you, I don't know.

Thank you for the response, I will have a look through. I know I understand your point of view, But that's the only way I will be able to do PGCE.
Reply 3
Are you able to resit your third year? Have you explained your circumstances in detail. Most importantly I'm so sorry for the loss of your mum
Reply 4
Did you not have to indicate your grades on the application?
Reply 5
Original post by Eutony
Are you able to resit your third year? Have you explained your circumstances in detail. Most importantly I'm so sorry for the loss of your mum

Thank you I really appreciate that, Yes. I cannot re-sit my third year again because I have already recieved the certificate and I actually don't know if i can or cannot tbh. ill have to ask
I don't think a Third class degree will 'vanish' with a Master's. They still see the Master's and Undergraduate.
Reply 7
Original post by TSAR2016
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me here.
I studied an Undergraduate degree and I got third class degree. This is because I lost my Mum in second year, I had to undergo counselling due to stress and my friends said not to take a gap year because studies may take my mind off things. However, I did what I could and now I am stuck.

I applied for Masters degree, hoping to boost my grades, the university I applied at offered me a place and I confirmed my interest on the place, the sent me welcome back confirmation and I was just waiting upon enrolment now. However, I just happen to call the department that I am still waiting on enrolment, they said we are sorry we cannot go ahead with your application due to third class degree.

They first accepted me and asked me to provide a strong academic reference with my degree and I did. Now they backed off. What do I do? Honestly, I am stressing, I need to get into the masters to improve my grades?

Any thoughts?.......

Hello there. This happened to me as well while doing a Zoology degree many years ago back in 1982.

I had my library project savaged by a lecturer and felt obliged to rewrite it but being about 30 pages long on thin lined A4 paper it took me almost up to the time that I had to take my finals to rewrite it,.

My solution was to do an Open University degree in a related subject (Natural Sciences with Biology) for which I got a 2.1. I would have liked to have got a 1st and my course work would have been good enough for one but back then I was commuting and working full time and I had to write the numerous assignments (48!) using an automatic pencil rather than a computer.

That was my way out of this experience but it was a long one.

Doing a first degree at Birkbeck College, London University, might be another option if they do a subject that you are interested in but they may not let you redo similar courses to those which you have already done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending