The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

After the degree what next

Hi all, I am 35, and am about to finish year 1 of a 3 year bachelor's in psychology with counselling skills. I already have a diploma level 3 in counselling. I have always done all studies online alongside working full time in a job that’s not got any potential for moving up, and it works for me for now, while I study. My question, after 3rd year, once I have my bsc (hons) in psychology and counselling skills.. what next? What are my job options? I’m aware that I can’t be a psychologist without more training and a masters.. but I began this without thinking about the end result. Has anyone done this course and can tell me what they did next? Thank you in advance. X
Original post by Aimeejess
Hi all, I am 35, and am about to finish year 1 of a 3 year bachelor's in psychology with counselling skills. I already have a diploma level 3 in counselling. I have always done all studies online alongside working full time in a job that’s not got any potential for moving up, and it works for me for now, while I study. My question, after 3rd year, once I have my bsc (hons) in psychology and counselling skills.. what next? What are my job options? I’m aware that I can’t be a psychologist without more training and a masters.. but I began this without thinking about the end result. Has anyone done this course and can tell me what they did next? Thank you in advance. X

Note I haven't done a degree in a subject related to yours, but I have read about it.

The degree alone is more than enough for you to charge higher fees as a counsellor. The level 3 diploma was more than adequate for you to get into the field in the first place.

If the degree you are doing is BPS accredited, you can jump into clinical psychology, provided you manage to secure a place admist the intense competition.

The other jobs available to you in the health field include mental health practitioner/promoter, who are essentially people running workshops to help groups of people with mental health problems. Then you have jobs available as a psychology teacher at secondary schools.

Should you decide to not pursue a specific job in the health field or go into psychological research, you can apply for jobs that ask for any degree. The list can be long, so I won't bore you with the details. If you have something specific in mind, I can further add to the thread.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest