The Student Room Group

If you get a positive STD test, where do you actually get treatment?

I know the obvious answer is a GUM clinic, but the reviews for my local ones look appalling and no-one can ever seem to get appointments or get through to anyone

They also don't offer walk-ins and are appointment-only. I'd have to call up when I'm either in work or at uni, and would probably be waiting forever to get through to someone going by the reviewsI've looked at nearby towns / cities and they all look the same.

I know you can pay for testing at a private place, but I see no mention of treatment options.Could someone pay for a test privately, and then just go to their GP to get a prescription if one was needed?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
In the UK, you need to see your GP immediately and show them the test results.
GPs will prescribe medicine the same way they prescribe for any other illness.
STDs, if left untreated, can cause serious long-term and permanent damage, including meningitis, impotence, infertility, and cancer.
Many are easily treated with a course of medication.
You should not wait.
Reply 2
You can get a test and treatment via your GP, yeah.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
In the UK, you need to see your GP immediately and show them the test results.
GPs will prescribe medicine the same way they prescribe for any other illness.
STDs, if left untreated, can cause serious long-term and permanent damage, including meningitis, impotence, infertility, and cancer.
Many are easily treated with a course of medication.
You should not wait.

Thanks, I'll probably just pay for testing then and see my GP if I have a positive result.

I'd rather than instead of getting messed about trying to book an appointment with the GUM clinic

Quick Reply

Latest