The Student Room Group

Campus vs City unis

Hello!
Is it true that city unis are much more unfriendly than campus ones? Do campus unis have more of a community vibe to them? Being social is really important for me. I would really love to hear some students opinions. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :smile:
Original post by tesss5
Hello!
Is it true that city unis are much more unfriendly than campus ones? Do campus unis have more of a community vibe to them? Being social is really important for me. I would really love to hear some students opinions. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :smile:

Hey there @tesss5 !

I think it completely depends. My uni isn't really famous for a campus vibe but I don't think that means it's unfriendly. There's plenty of student spots and we use other spaces to be social and meet people. Like our student union has a really bad reputation but that doesn't mean there's not always new experiences and chances to meet new people. There's always things going on, they just might not be on a campus per say. I also would argue a lot of the uni buildings at Hallam are more modern, that's not to say campus uni's aren't but I don't notice a major difference in the social aspect of the uni as I would if the buildings were closer together.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by tesss5
Hello!

Having spent time at both a city & a campus university.

It doesn’t really impact the friendliness of a university - I struggle to see why that would even be a line of thought.

Campuses do foster a greater atmosphere/venue to chill at, however at city universities they just do this in different places such as a public field rather then a green spot on campus. Id say a campus university tends to just be more convenient if you like greenery, walks etc. (Assuming this is on the campus). Most of the time people hang out in there accommodation, student bars, or on socials this isn’t really impacted by campus or city more the geographic factors of the location a broader consideration then the university facilities.
Original post by tesss5
Hello!

Hi!
I think the 'friendliness' of a university is largely subjective and i'm sure you will make friends and find community wherever you go. I understand the thinking behind a campus being more friendly as everyone is in one place and therefore your'e more likely to see the same people over and over, but wherever you go you will be walking to the same buildings again and again therefore seeing the same people.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FayeYSJ
Hi!
I think the 'friendliness' of a university is largely subjective and i'm sure you will make friends and find community wherever you go. I understand the thinking behind a campus being more friendly as everyone is in one place and therefore your'e more likely to see the same people over and over, but wherever you go you will be walking to the same buildings again and again therefore seeing the same people.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Having spent time at both a city & a campus university.

It doesn’t really impact the friendliness of a university - I struggle to see why that would even be a line of thought.

Campuses do foster a greater atmosphere/venue to chill at, however at city universities they just do this in different places such as a public field rather then a green spot on campus. Id say a campus university tends to just be more convenient if you like greenery, walks etc. (Assuming this is on the campus). Most of the time people hang out in there accommodation, student bars, or on socials this isn’t really impacted by campus or city more the geographic factors of the location a broader consideration then the university facilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending