The Student Room Group

Top tips for aqa a level geography

I have two weeks left so any tips for the exam and revision time now structure or content + any predictions etc..
ty x :smile:
Reply 1
- Case studies. Learn all your case studies but use the rule of 3 -- 3 general facts, 3 economic impacts, 3 social impacts etc. I know you tend to get given huge lists of impacts and responses and stuff so this just helps condense it down a bit. Also if you know your case studies, you've got a good proportion of the information for the long-answer questions. Also make sure you have 2 contrasting case studies for the sections that need those (Hazards if you do it, Changing Places, Coasts maybe?)

- Use PEECL (point, evidence/explain, counterpoint, link to q) paragraphs in the 9 and 20 markers - 3 for both question types with an intro and conclusion for the 20 marker. Sometimes you're told to do more but personally I never found it possible in the time, and I got a good grade so clearly 3 paragraphs wasn't bad lol. You might have been taught it but PADL (pattern, anomalies, data manipulation, link) is good for 6 mark data interpretation questions.

- If you're comfortable with your exam technique, I'd recommend using these two weeks to focus on making sure you know the content, because there's nothing worse than getting in there and realising you don't remember anything about a topic (I was stood outside the exam room when I realised I didn't know my tropical storms case studies at all, luckily I didn't get a question on it). Alternatively, you could do a mix of both, with some timed exam questions and maybe get your teachers to mark it.

- Check over past exam questions you've done and make a note of anything you did particularly well in terms of structure etc so you can use that in the exam

- I'm sure you certainly get told this a lot but stay hydrated, take breaks, and try not to stress too much! :smile:
thanks so much!
what grade did you get! yeah. I know technique but I want ti drill it in my head more to get top marks as my nea wasn't the best is 3 the best for 9 markers too ! Also do you have any tips for the multiple figures etc.
Original post by cyberhex
- Case studies. Learn all your case studies but use the rule of 3 -- 3 general facts, 3 economic impacts, 3 social impacts etc. I know you tend to get given huge lists of impacts and responses and stuff so this just helps condense it down a bit. Also if you know your case studies, you've got a good proportion of the information for the long-answer questions. Also make sure you have 2 contrasting case studies for the sections that need those (Hazards if you do it, Changing Places, Coasts maybe?)

- Use PEECL (point, evidence/explain, counterpoint, link to q) paragraphs in the 9 and 20 markers - 3 for both question types with an intro and conclusion for the 20 marker. Sometimes you're told to do more but personally I never found it possible in the time, and I got a good grade so clearly 3 paragraphs wasn't bad lol. You might have been taught it but PADL (pattern, anomalies, data manipulation, link) is good for 6 mark data interpretation questions.

- If you're comfortable with your exam technique, I'd recommend using these two weeks to focus on making sure you know the content, because there's nothing worse than getting in there and realising you don't remember anything about a topic (I was stood outside the exam room when I realised I didn't know my tropical storms case studies at all, luckily I didn't get a question on it). Alternatively, you could do a mix of both, with some timed exam questions and maybe get your teachers to mark it.

- Check over past exam questions you've done and make a note of anything you did particularly well in terms of structure etc so you can use that in the exam

- I'm sure you certainly get told this a lot but stay hydrated, take breaks, and try not to stress too much! :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by flora14
thanks so much!
what grade did you get! yeah. I know technique but I want ti drill it in my head more to get top marks as my nea wasn't the best is 3 the best for 9 markers too ! Also do you have any tips for the multiple figures etc.

I got an A* - my sections were Coasts, Water/Carbon, Hazards, Changing Places, Contemporary Urban Environments and Global Systems/Governance.

Yeah, 3 paragraphs is good for 9 markers as long as you make sure your points are all developed. For questions with multiple figures, try and include some data from all the figures, and make links between them i.e. does one support the other, are there contradictions/anomalies
Original post by cyberhex
I got an A* - my sections were Coasts, Water/Carbon, Hazards, Changing Places, Contemporary Urban Environments and Global Systems/Governance.

Yeah, 3 paragraphs is good for 9 markers as long as you make sure your points are all developed. For questions with multiple figures, try and include some data from all the figures, and make links between them i.e. does one support the other, are there contradictions/anomalies

that's so good haha what did u get for the nea mine wasn't amazing but hopefully can aim for the best in the exam.
Reply 5
Original post by flora14
that's so good haha what did u get for the nea mine wasn't amazing but hopefully can aim for the best in the exam.

I got 56/60 but don't worry, since it's only 20% you can definitely do well overall with the exams

Quick Reply

Latest