The Student Room Group

Lecturer Meeting

I was supposed to meet up with a lecturer that is supervising my dissertation project and at the start of the academic year I had asked if the meetings could be held online. They agreed to this and said they'd send out a teams invite soon, it's been over a week and others have had their meetings but I haven't heard back anything from them.

I don't want to pester them too much and be regarded as a 'problem student'

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I was supposed to meet up with a lecturer that is supervising my dissertation project and at the start of the academic year I had asked if the meetings could be held online. They agreed to this and said they'd send out a teams invite soon, it's been over a week and others have had their meetings but I haven't heard back anything from them.

Any advice?

Hiya,
It can be stressful trying to get a meet up with dissertation supervisors - both you and they can be very busy. That being said your dissertation is very important and it is a crucial element of the process to meet with your advisor.
As you have had over a week and heard nothing but know others are getting meetings scheduled, I would suggest sending a polite email asking when you may expect a scheduled meeting invite. Your dissertation is supposed to be student led and so it should not be preserved as pestering but instead show your eagerness to do your dissertation.
Hopefully you will get a meeting scheduled and that it will be a good meeting. Best wishes with your dissertation project!
Catherine - University of Strathclyde (Student Ambassador)

Any advice?

Hi there!

I hope your dissertation is going well nonetheless!

Your dissertation supervisor is a supervisor for a reason, and they are there to ensure that you are on the right track, therefore you cannot be perceived as being a 'pest', like @University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador has said. If it was a genuine mistake, then I am sure your supervisor would more than appreciate you sending them a polite reminder, which shows you genuinely care. Meetings between you and your supervisor work both ways, and there should be an expectation that you are arranging these meetings, which you are showing that you are interested in doing!

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Reply 3
Just give them a poke. We forget things all the time, don't fret about giving gentle reminders.

Any advice?

Hi,

How are you finding your final year so far?

I would say drop them an email as they may have simply forgotten. You will hopefully not be regarded as a 'problem student'.

When you do meet though, I would recommend asking your supervisor if you can be the one to schedule these meetings so as to take an extra job off of them. Usually this is welcomed but if it is not, another option could be requesting the teams invite for the next meeting be sent before you finish the meeting so it is in your diaries.

I hope this helps and good luck. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending