The Student Room Group

Pursuing Music or Staying at School?

Hello! I’m an s5 pupil, about to go into s6 in june.

this year i didn’t have the best time at school. i was originally sitting 4 highers but this was reduced to 3. i struggled with some people, had to do a massive heap of self-study because my classes weren’t stable & then found “school” draining as a result of this, but the one subject that stuck out most to me and that i loved - was Higher Music.

Next year I planned to take Music at Advanced Higher, along with a few other higher subjects (some of which I’m crashing).

However, I’ve kind of come to the realisation that in life I’d like to be a musician. One who performs everywhere, gets to travel, record music etc., and then when i’m older, and want to settle, i’d do something much more conventional like becoming a music teacher.

I already have a bit of experience because I run the school’s music club for s1&2 and i’ve volunteered in a few lessons. obviously i know you’d need much more experience than this & a degree!!

but like i say - this is something i see happening much later in my life, and so i’m not sure if it’s the best thing for me right now to possibly struggle for another year to get enough highers for Uni, then eventually go to Uni, when actually what i want to do right now - performing - doesn’t require any traditional qualifications, and only the skill set. Obviously if i wasn’t going to school, I would be working on my skills (working through Music books from an exam board like Trinity), and could potentially look into going to Music college. Looking for any opinions, help, or advice. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending