The Student Room Group

Should I enhance my skills as a musican or go for a more traditional course

I am an adept producer and DJ of 13 years.

Do I apply for music college aka university to further enhance my skills or go for sociology. What's more employable not that that matters that much rn.
Well it really depends on what you wish to do with your life! If you wish to further your career in music, a music-related degree will probably be better for your goal. However, you're probably aware that the music industry is a tad cutthroat so if you wish to move on to something else, a sociology degree might be ever so slightly better, but many graduate jobs will just ask you for a degree, doesn't matter what it was, so doing a music related degree shouldn't pose a problem anyway. I guess the only reason why you'd choose sociology is because you want to pursue something that a music degree wouldn't allow you to do.

How come you want to go to university after 13 years of producing and DJ'ing? Out of curiosity. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Well it really depends on what you wish to do with your life! If you wish to further your career in music, a music-related degree will probably be better for your goal. However, you're probably aware that the music industry is a tad cutthroat so if you wish to move on to something else, a sociology degree might be ever so slightly better, but many graduate jobs will just ask you for a degree, doesn't matter what it was, so doing a music related degree shouldn't pose a problem anyway. I guess the only reason why you'd choose sociology is because you want to pursue something that a music degree wouldn't allow you to do.

How come you want to go to university after 13 years of producing and DJ'ing? Out of curiosity. :smile:

well i don't make money from it its just a hobby
Reply 3
What do you want to do with your degree once you have graduated?
1) If you stay in music, how will having a degree help?
2) Why are you thinking of doing a degree specifically in Sociology?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
What do you want to do with your degree once you have graduated?
1) If you stay in music, how will having a degree help?
2) Why are you thinking of doing a degree specifically in Sociology?

well eventually i'd like to make money from music as a part time job, but Sociology just interests me because it's so expansive. Torn.
Reply 5
Original post by We Sink
well eventually i'd like to make money from music as a part time job, but Sociology just interests me because it's so expansive. Torn.

I've sold bits and bobs of music and made a miniscule ammount. But a music degree will help me towards honing my skills even more to the point where I'm immaculate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending