The Student Room Group

I am a pagan sorceress. Ask me anything.

I should start with an introduction. So, growing up, I was an antitheist, as a queer woman, the harm that I saw done to both women and LGBT people due to faith turned me against it. My mum is a witch, and so I did learn some things from her now and again, how to read tarot for example, but I was always staunchly against religion or spirituality until I turned 16, when I started taking religious studies at A level after having a few spiritual (numinous) experiences. I started learning about traditional British witchcraft, modern left hand path occult traditions, alchemy, ethnobotany, and gnosticism/Hermeticism.

Currently, my practice is eclectic, devoid of named gods or goddesses, and a lot more about subtle, practical, and tangible applications of magick, self mastery, and the genesis of wisdom. I do not worship anything, not some deity nor myself, though I do believe in certain forces beyond the physical, that can't really be described, only felt and manipulated. Any attempt to describe them or ascribe some form to them only reduces from what they are. Whether they are deities or something akin to a more fundamental force like gravity isn't a concern for me. I'm also more oriented around practicality that ritualism, getting a raise by enchanting a higher up is likely going to yield better results than burning your intention over a pentagon.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you into rune magick or crystal healing?
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Are you into rune magick or crystal healing?

I don't believe in crystal healing, if I want healing I would use modern medicine and traditional medicine as a complement. I do use runes though, specifically Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, for example I have an oak pendant with the Ȳr rune (ᚢ) engraved onto it, symbolising strength, and I wear it during interviews or when I want a little boost.
Reply 3
What's your favourite pagan sauce?
Reply 4
Original post by WADR
What's your favourite pagan sauce?

Sauce...? Or source?
For sources, I can't whittle it down to one, so I'll make it three. The Natural History by Pliny the Elder, the Corpus Hermeticum by Hermes Trismegistus, and Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life by Connie Zweig and Steve Wolf.

For sauces, I normally use vinaigrette if I'm going to use anything, but vinaigrette doesn't feel particularly pagan. So, I'll say English mustard. That feels a bit more pagan.
Omg, a fellow sorcerer(ess)!! So rare to come across another one on here, very nice to meet you!

Did you at any point work with matron or patron deities, and what would you say your most successful spell or manifestation has been??
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Omg, a fellow sorcerer(ess)!! So rare to come across another one on here, very nice to meet you!

Did you at any point work with matron or patron deities, and what would you say your most successful spell or manifestation has been??

I dabbled a bit in demonology when I was just starting out. I worked with a few entities, eventually landed on Lilitu (Lilith), but she wasn't my matron per se, my relationship with her was more as an intimate friend and a mentor. I called on her for guidance, not rulings, and I had no call to strict loyalty to her. Looking into comparative mythology and my shadow, I realised that Lilitu represented that darker side that I had repressed, a soft, alluring, yet deadly feminine force. The femme fatale, the ***** of Babylon, Pandora.

For my most successful spell, it was a hex, but I know that some don't like dealing with those things, so I won't elaborate any further. Excluding that, it was a transformation ritual, at the time, a close friend of mine wasn't in the best place mentally (anxiety and depression) and, knowing what I do, she asked me if I could do anything to help. I spoke with her first, asked her if therapy or some other alternative was an option, which it wasn't. I taught her some of the basics of shadow work, as I believed it to be a major source of her problems, and I then conducted a ritual (that I had made up) with the intent of trying to promote conscious integration. She kept up the shadow work, and over the next few months I saw (and she reported) her problems, especially her anxiety, clear up considerably. She wasn't "fixed" in any sense, but it had made it manageable for her, and caused a major inflection point.

I'd make a distinction between my most successful spells and my most successful magick more generally. Spells are the ritualistic elements, the literal ritual I conducted, whereas magick is more about the directing of those forces more generally. Manipulation, relationships, the life you live, beyond their obvious, external (exoteric) shells, they cause hidden, internal (esoteric) changes, and are magickal in nature. I don't believe in some universal revenge principle like karma, but if you're manipulating to get what you want, the (in the easiest terms to use) "negative" energy you use when manipulating, you're surrounding yourself with it and so it's likely going to leak back to you. If you hurt people, hurt people hurt people, and you very well may end up being their target. The sorcery you are doing is unwise because it can threaten to disturb your balance. Also, all it takes is a gust of wind for your house of cards to come crashing down.

Went on a bit of a tangent, but hope you enjoyed it regardless :smile:
Original post by Esotericatress
I dabbled a bit in demonology when I was just starting out. I worked with a few entities, eventually landed on Lilitu (Lilith), but she wasn't my matron per se, my relationship with her was more as an intimate friend and a mentor. I called on her for guidance, not rulings, and I had no call to strict loyalty to her. Looking into comparative mythology and my shadow, I realised that Lilitu represented that darker side that I had repressed, a soft, alluring, yet deadly feminine force. The femme fatale, the ***** of Babylon, Pandora.

For my most successful spell, it was a hex, but I know that some don't like dealing with those things, so I won't elaborate any further. Excluding that, it was a transformation ritual, at the time, a close friend of mine wasn't in the best place mentally (anxiety and depression) and, knowing what I do, she asked me if I could do anything to help. I spoke with her first, asked her if therapy or some other alternative was an option, which it wasn't. I taught her some of the basics of shadow work, as I believed it to be a major source of her problems, and I then conducted a ritual (that I had made up) with the intent of trying to promote conscious integration. She kept up the shadow work, and over the next few months I saw (and she reported) her problems, especially her anxiety, clear up considerably. She wasn't "fixed" in any sense, but it had made it manageable for her, and caused a major inflection point.

I'd make a distinction between my most successful spells and my most successful magick more generally. Spells are the ritualistic elements, the literal ritual I conducted, whereas magick is more about the directing of those forces more generally. Manipulation, relationships, the life you live, beyond their obvious, external (exoteric) shells, they cause hidden, internal (esoteric) changes, and are magickal in nature. I don't believe in some universal revenge principle like karma, but if you're manipulating to get what you want, the (in the easiest terms to use) "negative" energy you use when manipulating, you're surrounding yourself with it and so it's likely going to leak back to you. If you hurt people, hurt people hurt people, and you very well may end up being their target. The sorcery you are doing is unwise because it can threaten to disturb your balance. Also, all it takes is a gust of wind for your house of cards to come crashing down.

Went on a bit of a tangent, but hope you enjoyed it regardless :smile:

I did indeed, thank you for the detailed response 👍🏻
Reply 8
I did indeed, thank you for the detailed response 👍🏻

What about you? Do you have a patron/matron and what was your most powerful spell?
Reply 9
For sauces, I normally use vinaigrette if I'm going to use anything, but vinaigrette doesn't feel particularly pagan. So, I'll say English mustard. That feels a bit more pagan.

Vinaigrette is a dressing, not a sauce. I am starting to doubt your claim.
What about you? Do you have a patron/matron

No. Like many witches and sorcerers it seems, I had a religious upbringing (not strict) and came to deeply dislike the controlling and unpleasant nature of the Christian god. I noticed the idea of worshipping it, begging for forgiveness and so on made me physically and psychologically dependent on a higher power. And as my experience of being an expression of divinity grew I could no longer reconcile sidelining my own godhood to appease another. So since my final break with organised religion at 16 I haven't worshipped anything in the true sense of the word nor do I recognise any power, mundane or divine, greater than myself because I believe and have indeed experienced moments of complete unity with everything. I therefore understand and know everything to be a manifestation of the one divinity, everything is me and I am everything. And therefore in that context it makes little sense for me to work with matrons and patrons in the traditional sense (though I am aware that many witches and other magickal folk don't work with deities in the typical supplicant-god or guided-guide relationship, some see them as friends and companions, others even as their metaphysical spouses and lovers). I have however, fleetingly called upon historical figures in my workings in order to use some of their qualities and characteristics, essentially working with their archetypes. I haven't done this very often at all though, working with embodied and disembodied human and human-inspired intelligences, that is. I resonate much more with the natural world and most of my workings involve invoking and manipulating the energies and forces of the planets, stars, skies, oceans and forests to affect events in my personal reality.

and what was your most powerful spell?

In regards to a traditional working designed to produce an external, physical result: without a doubt the time I materialised one of my mum's lost necklaces. But what I consider to be my most powerful and transformative workings are all internal, with a lot of energy being focused in the last few years on severing the chord of personal identity and spending ever more time immersed in the divine sense of No Self.
(edited 11 months ago)
How does one do magic and can I get rich from it. I can't work for another 35 years
Original post by Guru Jason
How does one do magic and can I get rich from it. I can't work for another 35 years

:rofl:
Original post by WADR
Vinaigrette is a dressing, not a sauce. I am starting to doubt your claim.

Actually, it can be a dressing or a sauce.
No. Like many witches and sorcerers it seems, I had a religious upbringing (not strict) and came to deeply dislike the controlling and unpleasant nature of the Christian god. I noticed the idea of worshipping it, begging for forgiveness and so on made me physically and psychologically dependent on a higher power. And as my experience of being an expression of divinity grew I could no longer reconcile sidelining my own godhood to appease another. So since my final break with organised religion at 16 I haven't worshipped anything in the true sense of the word nor do I recognise any power, mundane or divine, greater than myself because I believe and have indeed experienced moments of complete unity with everything. I therefore understand and know everything to be a manifestation of the one divinity, everything is me and I am everything. And therefore in that context it makes little sense for me to work with matrons and patrons in the traditional sense (though I am aware that many witches and other magickal folk don't work with deities in the typical supplicant-god or guided-guide relationship, some see them as friends and companions, others even as their metaphysical spouses and lovers). I have however, fleetingly called upon historical figures in my workings in order to use some of their qualities and characteristics, essentially working with their archetypes. I haven't done this very often at all though, working with embodied and disembodied human and human-inspired intelligences, that is. I resonate much more with the natural world and most of my workings involve invoking and manipulating the energies and forces of the planets, stars, skies, oceans and forests to affect events in my personal reality.

In regards to a traditional working designed to produce an external, physical result: without a doubt the time I materialised one of my mum's lost necklaces. But what I consider to be my most powerful and transformative workings are all internal, with a lot of energy being focused in the last few years on severing the chord of personal identity and spending ever more time immersed in the divine sense of No Self.

We seem to be very alike in some regards then. My working with Lilitu, with time, came to be more about archetypes and certain forces beyond, not any entities or divinities, though, I have eschewed form almost entirely. While I used to recognise the classical planetary system, I have recently begun to question it, all the correspondences I use in fact, as I'm starting to think they are restrictions of those essences. Allegories in a way. You can describe love as butterflies in your stomach but it doesn't fully capture what love is, just as describing blue as cool and deep can't give a colourblind person a glimpse at what blue is really like. I also tend to see myself (as a distinct, separate entity) as not really existing. I see myself as part of a greater whole, an infinitely lesser part, but still a part. Though, I do agree that the most powerful sorcery is generally internal. Spells or rites that cause significant change will have a significant cost tagged along with that, doing some chant or praying to some crystal can't make you win the lottery, for example.
Original post by Guru Jason

If only it were that easy... I suppose you could seduce a rich person and mooch off of their money if you really wanted to, but magick to most people is some big, ritualistic spell, not subtle manipulation as I normally use it as.
Reply 16
Actually, it can be a dressing or a sauce.

Nope.
A sauce requires cooking, a dressing is uncooked. Vinaigrette is not cooked.
However, we are getting dangerously close to being "off-topic" here.
We seem to be very alike in some regards then. My working with Lilitu, with time, came to be more about archetypes and certain forces beyond, not any entities or divinities, though, I have eschewed form almost entirely. While I used to recognise the classical planetary system, I have recently begun to question it, all the correspondences I use in fact, as I'm starting to think they are restrictions of those essences. Allegories in a way. You can describe love as butterflies in your stomach but it doesn't fully capture what love is, just as describing blue as cool and deep can't give a colourblind person a glimpse at what blue is really like. I also tend to see myself (as a distinct, separate entity) as not really existing. I see myself as part of a greater whole, an infinitely lesser part, but still a part. Though, I do agree that the most powerful sorcery is generally internal. Spells or rites that cause significant change will have a significant cost tagged along with that, doing some chant or praying to some crystal can't make you win the lottery, for example.

I very much agree regarding the traditional correspondences associated with all kinds of things, ranging from planets to herbs. I've never vibed with much of that because I always came to question why or how one thing was associated with a seemingly random, arbitrary characteristic and how was that supposed link discovered? I personally have chosen to rid myself of practically all predefined associations and instead choose to give things, if needed, a value or characteristic that I choose, even if it completely goes against tradition. I am a strong believer in sacred defiance, making your own rules and so on. I find that very liberating but I can understand why traditional associations may be useful to someone who's just starting off in the craft and needs or wants a ready-made framework to work off. They can always discard it later if they feel like it, just as most of us eventually get rid of our stabilisers once we learn to balance on a bike.
anyone a Hellenic polytheist?
I'm not, though I'd be interested in someone who was, granted it's a genuine attempt at following and not some whitewashed Western interpretation... I've spoken to people who claim to worship Hekate and think that She is some benevolent healer, when She is the very opposite, the darkness, a cunning poisoner and sorceress. Aversion to the darkness and heresy found in so many modern neopagan faiths just turns them into a *******ised rendition of Christianity, focused as it is on "purity", rather than the focus on the completeness of nature, both light and dark and what is beyond both of those. Poison is not a bad thing, it can both kill off weeds and also heal in the right dosages, yet poisonous plants being used (especially for entheogenic purposes) is taboo within some modern witchcraft circles...
Anyway, rant over. I'm just not a fan of vapid neopaganism. Nature isn't just flowers and life and peace and happiness, it's also blood, death, rot, misery. Paganism is about appreciating all of nature, not just what we personally think is enjoyable. It's all important to the cycle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending