The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

should I firm uni of Leicester?

i applied for an undergraduate in psych for sep 2023 buut im not sure if i should firm it because the industry of psychology is so compeetitve and i want to become a therapist in the future so i would have to get a masters at a russel group to improve my employability, but im not sure if a russel group would consider me if im not from the same brand as them if i do go uni of Leicester. I've heard great things abt it and how it's rlly high ranking but i'm just scared abt the employability of my degree. If i dont firm Leicester i would have to go through clearing which may not even have spaces for psych coz it's so competitve or take a gap year which i dont mind coz i'm scared for my alevels anyways so what if i have to retake lol
Reply 1
First of all, have you been to open days/offer days? You would be able to find out and ask questions about employability after your graduate and physically see the facilities available to see if you can see yourself studying there in Sep.

From what I can see, most russel groups for a masters degree would require a 2:1 so even if you do decide to go Leicester, as long as you get the best possible grade you can achieve, you should have no issue applying for a masters.

Also, you can firm and decide to release yourself from the place on results day and enter clearing if you get better grades than expected, but like you said, psych is a competitive course so there is no guarantee there will be places on clearing.

I am planning to go to Leicester to study Software Engineering and I have firmed it so sorry if this isn't much help.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by eatmya55
i applied for an undergraduate in psych for sep 2023 buut im not sure if i should firm it because the industry of psychology is so compeetitve and i want to become a therapist in the future so i would have to get a masters at a russel group to improve my employability, but im not sure if a russel group would consider me if im not from the same brand as them if i do go uni of Leicester. I've heard great things abt it and how it's rlly high ranking but i'm just scared abt the employability of my degree. If i dont firm Leicester i would have to go through clearing which may not even have spaces for psych coz it's so competitve or take a gap year which i dont mind coz i'm scared for my alevels anyways so what if i have to retake lol

As long as you get the minimum grade required for postgraduate, usually a 2.1, you would have a good chance of getting into most unis. A First would obviously be an advantage.
Reply 3
wow software engineering sounds really good, thansk for the reply i had no idea you could release urself on results day i thought you were like tied to that uni after you firmed them lol, i was looking into royal holloway coz ik they're lenient with clearing but it all rlly depends on my grades and my luck thanks again :smile:

Original post by Aceful
First of all, have you been to open days/offer days? You would be able to find out and ask questions about employability after your graduate and physically see the facilities available to see if you can see yourself studying there in Sep.

From what I can see, most russel groups for a masters degree would require a 2:1 so even if you do decide to go Leicester, as long as you get the best possible grade you can achieve, you should have no issue applying for a masters.

Also, you can firm and decide to release yourself from the place on results day and enter clearing if you get better grades than expected, but like you said, psych is a competitive course so there is no guarantee there will be places on clearing.

I am planning to go to Leicester to study Software Engineering and I have firmed it so sorry if this isn't much help.
Original post by eatmya55

Hi @eatmya55,

Our BSc Psychology has great employability! Graduates go on to pursue rewarding careers in a wide range of fields including teaching, marketing, insurance and risk management, health, assistant psychologists, youth offender services, human resources, care sector, mental health and disability charities, and child services research and development to name just a few. Many graduates also go onto further postgraduate study.

I hope this helps with, any further questions let us know!

-Anna (UK Student Recruitment Co-Ordinator)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending