The Student Room Group

Will Master grade of Pass greatly affect PhD application even if it is from oxbridge

Hi everybody, I am a master's student who graduated from Oxbridge(one of them) this year, and my final grade is, unfortunately, a pass. Mostly because I screwed my thesis when I chose a completely strange field. Indeed my advisor has told me that a Pass will greatly influence my future PhD application. But I am just not very sure how much is "greatly", like, as somebody with no publication, just research experience, does that mean I have to give up any chance of receiving a scholarship in any country? Will it be helpful if I work as a RA for one or half a year? Or does that mean I really should quit and give up a life in academics? Any comment or suggestion will be of great help! Thank you!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by chenjin
Hi everybody, I am a master's student who graduated from Oxbridge(one of them) this year, and my final grade is, unfortunately, a pass. Mostly because I screwed my thesis when I chose a completely strange field. Indeed my advisor has told me that a Pass will greatly influence my future PhD application. But I am just not very sure how much is "greatly", like, as somebody with no publication, just research experience, does that mean I have to give up any chance of receiving a scholarship in any country? Will it be helpful if I work as a RA for one or half a year? Or does that mean I really should quit and give up a life in academics? Any comment or suggestion will be of great help! Thank you!

Its a polite way of saying consider an alternative career path I'm afraid. If it was because of one academic module there might be a chance, but dinging the dissertation at masters is pretty fatal to any PhD application. You certainly aren't going to be competitive for funding unless you can narrow things down to being one of very few candidates.

I don't think working as a RA for 6-12 months is going to make any difference. Starting a career, being good at it, and coming back in 5 years might, so long as the career is relevant to the research proposal.

Have another conversation with your Supervisor and see if they agree with the above, handed the blunter words, they are generally more inclined to be truthful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending