The Student Room Group

Student Finance cancelled Tuition & Maintenance Loan.

I applied to Uni back in March '23, as after yrs of working & looking after my children decided to do something for me. Everything was fine, other than short courses, work in house training and college this was my dream to get a Degree. Being a older student it's been a worrying time but supported by family and children decided its the right time. Got accepted on a few courses, picked one I wanted, so already had student finance ready, updated the course as changed it from original one I applied for finance for.
Then yesterday receives a email stating I'm no longer accepted for tuition or Maintenance loan due to already having a degree with apparently honours.
I do not have a degree, the time that I apparently got this degree I was working full time and caring for my children. So I asked where and when I got this degree, student finance can not tell me as I financed this myself. Which I assured them I most certainly did not, I hardly had a penny to my name to survive with 5 children never mind fully fund a 3 Yr degree. So how can I prove, other than send all my qualifications in (which I've done) that I do not hold a degree? If I do not know what this degree is apparently in and they do not, or from where I can not chase it up and find out. I'm lost and heartbroken at the minute..
Usually this would happen if you accidentally listed a completed degree in the previous study section of the application (lots of people do this). The other possibility would be a mistake with your NI number being linked to a previous student finance application but if they’re saying it was self funded then that’s unlikely.

If you log into your account during working hours and raise a query on the online chat option that’s usually the best way to get responses. Personally I would ask for how to submit a Subject Access Request under data protection law for a copy of all the information they have on file for you. That might help uncover what has happened.

Another route to try is to talk to your university and ask to be put in touch with the staff who submit data to SLC. Those staff may be able to help with your consent to talk to SFE about what is happening with your application.
Original post by Csb78
I applied to Uni back in March '23, as after yrs of working & looking after my children decided to do something for me. Everything was fine, other than short courses, work in house training and college this was my dream to get a Degree. Being a older student it's been a worrying time but supported by family and children decided its the right time. Got accepted on a few courses, picked one I wanted, so already had student finance ready, updated the course as changed it from original one I applied for finance for.
Then yesterday receives a email stating I'm no longer accepted for tuition or Maintenance loan due to already having a degree with apparently honours.
I do not have a degree, the time that I apparently got this degree I was working full time and caring for my children. So I asked where and when I got this degree, student finance can not tell me as I financed this myself. Which I assured them I most certainly did not, I hardly had a penny to my name to survive with 5 children never mind fully fund a 3 Yr degree. So how can I prove, other than send all my qualifications in (which I've done) that I do not hold a degree? If I do not know what this degree is apparently in and they do not, or from where I can not chase it up and find out. I'm lost and heartbroken at the minute..

Hi there, Sorry to hear this, please do contact us again as this needs to be looked onto further. We should be able to advise on any previous study we hold on the account for you. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending