The Student Room Group

Help with reading academic material.

I find it a struggle to read academic material. For me, it is too long and the style it is written in makes it difficult for me to follow. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to overcome it?
Academic writing can be rather dry, and often it is a paper designed for people familiar with the field (i.e. they naturally pick up the points a lot easier and are well grounded in the theory).

Id say their is a couple things, read a LOT, try "review papers" first, this will get you on your feet understanding the context of other papers first then dive into the detail of other papers. Also try reading the introduction, then read the conclusion then go read the meat of the paper (I often do this).
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Academic writing can be rather dry, and often it is a paper designed for people familiar with the field (i.e. they naturally pick up the points a lot easier and are well grounded in the theory).

Id say their is a couple things, read a LOT, try "review papers" first, this will get you on your feet understanding the context of other papers first then dive into the detail of other papers. Also try reading the introduction, then read the conclusion then go read the meat of the paper (I often do this).

Thanks that's really helpful :smile:

I often wonder whether academic writing could be written in a more engaging style? I mean just because it's informative doesn't necessarily mean it has to be hard to read.
Original post by Sammy_Salsa
Thanks that's really helpful :smile:

I often wonder whether academic writing could be written in a more engaging style? I mean just because it's informative doesn't necessarily mean it has to be hard to read.

It should be readable and good writing is nice to follow, but papers are generally targetted at a specific audience, often the writing is focused at a specific journal where the vast majority of readers are fellow contributors to the field. Academic books & conference papers tend to be easier to consume and written a more broadly.
Reply 4
Thanks for the thoughts
Reply 5
Original post by Sammy_Salsa
I find it a struggle to read academic material. For me, it is too long and the style it is written in makes it difficult for me to follow. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to overcome it?

Hey
You can overcome the struggle of reading academic material through several strategies. Skimming and scanning the text to get an overview, taking notes to summarize key points, and breaking down the material into smaller sections can help manage information overload. Seeking alternative sources that present the same concepts in a more accessible format, engaging in discussions with others to gain different perspectives, and practicing active reading by highlighting and annotating the text are effective approaches. Additionally, utilizing supplementary resources such as dictionaries and subject-specific guides can clarify unfamiliar terms. With consistent effort and practice, these strategies can improve comprehension and make academic reading less daunting.
Hope this helps. God bless you

Quick Reply

Latest