The Student Room Group

give me ur honest opinions please !!!

hi, so i used to use revision textbooks for my 3 a- levels which obviously don’t have enough content which i never knew until these couple of weeks.
so i bought 3 core textbooks for all subjects.

i have to write out the information in textbooks on a notepad because im dyslexic and have adhd and reading it wont sick into my head so i have to write it out.
so ,
in my psychology core textbook i have completed 40 something pages and it gets to 200 and something (it’s the Flanagan book).
then for sociology i have completed like 25 pages out of 300 odd pages (the orange book)
and for religious studies i have completed like 30 pages out of 400….
can i complete this before september 4th when the year 13 year starts??????
i am honestly crying all the time and having nightmares. i suffer with anxiety and all week ive been feeling ill.
i bought a new desk for my room, should i stay up majority of the night to finish it? am i being unrealistic?????
im going to leave the questions in the book for september onwards when revisiong as i have no time for thay.
please advise me
btw, beforehand, i was doing soooo well and i cant believe im so bad now.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by alevelstudent090
hi, so i used to use revision textbooks for my 3 a- levels which obviously don’t have enough content which i never knew until these couple of weeks.
so i bought 3 core textbooks for all subjects.

i have to write out the information in textbooks on a notepad because im dyslexic and have adhd and reading it wont sick into my head so i have to write it out.
so ,
in my psychology core textbook i have completed 40 something pages and it gets to 200 and something (it’s the Flanagan book).
then for sociology i have completed like 25 pages out of 300 odd pages (the orange book)
and for religious studies i have completed like 30 pages out of 400….
can i complete this before september 4th when the year 13 year starts??????
i am honestly crying all the time and having nightmares. i suffer with anxiety and all week ive been feeling ill.
i bought a new desk for my room, should i stay up majority of the night to finish it? am i being unrealistic?????
im going to leave the questions in the book for september onwards when revisiong as i have no time for thay.
please advise me
btw, beforehand, i was doing soooo well and i cant believe im so bad now.

i cant rly offer advice bc i do the polar opposite of ur a level but prioritise sleep - also do max 2 hours of revision a day - you do not want to burn out before ur a levels - u have 340 days untill ur exams so if u have loads of time - also try other revision methods like watching vids or flashcards
I think you may be panicking and blowing this out of proportion, it's a problem that can easily be solved.

I find it really helpful to read the textbook out loud, close the textbook and try to summarise it by saying it out loud. If you can't summarise it well, read it out loud again. This is helpful as its quicker than writing. This is also really helpful as I can do it for long stretches (e.g. I can stand up and wander round and still do it)

Also you have all of summer to do it - don't worry, make a revision plan and do a few pages each day (don't stay up all night) - there's roughly 100 days in summer do if you do 4-5 pages each day for each subject its more managable - do the ppqs as well, since you'll only be reviewing 12-15 pages a day.
Original post by urmarjischunky
i cant rly offer advice bc i do the polar opposite of ur a level but prioritise sleep - also do max 2 hours of revision a day - you do not want to burn out before ur a levels - u have 340 days untill ur exams so if u have loads of time - also try other revision methods like watching vids or flashcards

i forgot to mention im self teaching so its making me feel really behind. thank you so much for this and i do have a tutor for psychology from Mytutor and will be looking into getting two others for my other subjects. she really helps with revision and i do use seneca sometimes. i have remembered quite a chunk of information somehow because i revised so much when i started my a levels and i still remember some of it. i will definitely use ur advice thank you.

Original post by toothysmile
I think you may be panicking and blowing this out of proportion, it's a problem that can easily be solved.

I find it really helpful to read the textbook out loud, close the textbook and try to summarise it by saying it out loud. If you can't summarise it well, read it out loud again. This is helpful as its quicker than writing. This is also really helpful as I can do it for long stretches (e.g. I can stand up and wander round and still do it)

Also you have all of summer to do it - don't worry, make a revision plan and do a few pages each day (don't stay up all night) - there's roughly 100 days in summer do if you do 4-5 pages each day for each subject its more managable - do the ppqs as well, since you'll only be reviewing 12-15 pages a day.

hi, thank you very much. i will try that and see if it works. i forgot to mention im self teaching so i haven’t covered all content yet for year 12. i started in january and used the wrong books as i said stupidly and ppl said to me its not good enough. i have done a lot of revision tho but atm i feel so overwhelmed and worry that everything wont work out.
ur right, i have the whole of summer. thanks! i will use ur advice :smile: it’s very much appreciated:smile:
Another ADHDer here! Be really careful not to burn out! Burn-out is real, and if you have ADHD it can be particularly nasty. You're in yr12, so don't worry. Double check the exam syllabus to make sure your textbooks cover the right things.

Here's my advice to keep on track:

- Make a healthy study schedule. for my A-levels in school, I had about 2-4 hours of classes a day, plus prep and consolidation tasks (2-3hrs accounting for ADHD getting in the way). Try to incorporate healthy study hours like that in each day. Have set times but give yourself flexibility if needed, but give yourself enough structure so that your brain doesn't procrastinate against your will. Plan out a regular schedule for your days and when/how you'll study. I wouldn't plan your entire year day by day, but I'd recommend creating 'checkpoints' with what content you want to have covered for the end of each month, maybe with some past paper questions. This way, if you have a bad day, you don't mess up your whole study timetable (I've done that in the past) and you can redeem that time on a better day.

- Have a regular sleep schedule (set multiple morning and evening alarms) because that really makes a difference for ADHD symptoms.

- Use the Pomodoro technique if that helps you get through the hours.

- Try body doubling with someone else who is doing their own work to help keep you on track. If they have time, ask if you can teach them what you're studying at the moment. Explaining things in simple language to other people helps you understand and internalise the topic for yourself.

- Plan in time to relax and do other things. ADHD people often have trouble switching between tasks and therefore struggle to relax sometimes. Plan in some exercise (it can just be a walk), it can really help with ADHD symptoms and overall mood. Plan in hours to go out and have fun. And if you have a bad day and don't get as much done, that's fine! Celebrate what you do get done, no matter how small. ADHD brains like dopamine, rewarding yourself after completing a chapter for example, will make it easier to study going forward.

My university suggested this ADHD workbook to me and I was actually really surprised about how useful it was! You might want to try it, it can help you with studying and also the stress that goes with it. I did a chapter a week (it's not that long) and picked out one new ADHD strategy I was gonna try implement for the week. It's 'Understand your Brain, Get More Done" by Ari Tuckman. Highly reccomend.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest