The Student Room Group

lots of assignments

how to keep calm when you feel like there are loads to do in a short period of time.
Original post by Anonymous
how to keep calm when you feel like there are loads to do in a short period of time.

Hi anon!

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed with university assignments and exams, especially at this time of the year.
There are many different ways to help keep calm during this busy time period.

Try and write out a timetable of things you need to do and then plan out each day ensuring you have time for all your work and also yourself. It's really important you keep a healthy work-life balance.
Try and get done what's due the soonest first and work your way down the list. Make sure you also take regular breaks.

During your breaks you could try doing some other activities such as your favourite hobbies and things that help you keep calm.
You could try exercising, doing yoga, reading, listening to music etc.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I can totally relate to this! For me, the best thing that helps is a to do list. And although it feels really long and unachievable it feels great to start ticking things off.
I also find that it means I don't forget about anything or miss things because I am not trying to remember loads of different jobs I have to do.
Often I make 2 to do lists, 1 with stuff to do for uni/work and another one for tasks that need to be done around the house like washing and cleaning etc. I find that then when I need a break from work or uni stuff I can still feel really productive by ticking things off my other list.

When I am super overwhelmed I tend to plan out my days into blocks, for example, the morning, afternoon and evening. And I take 1 of those blocks completely off to do things I enjoy, going to the gym etc. And then the other 2 I split up into what work I would like to get done and try to keep to a time.
If you are revising the pomodoro method works really well for me as it helps to schedule in breaks.

I really hope this helps and good luck,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Hi there,

As a student, not having lots of paperwork to do is inevitable. You can attend 3 classes in a day and all lecturers for each module give assignments to be submitted on a specified day.

There are books to read, assignments to do.
A lot on your plate and the deadline is getting closer.

You’re choked with tasks.
(Overwhelming)

Be calm!
There are tips you can consider to overcome this phase:

You can get over this by taking it one after the other. I suggest you start from the less difficult ones. Anyone that seems difficult, do not dwell on it and spend time that you can use to complete two assignments on one.

Also, do not be in a rush to complete the assignment and in the end do the wrong thing. Take your time to do your research, ask questions, and meet people that know what the module is about to help you with the assignment.

When you’re confused on what to do, rest and start when your brain feels fresh(those are the times you achieve a lot). Do not force yourself to complete the task by all means. Most times the brain needs a break.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Hi @Anonymous,

What works for me is, taking things one at a time.
I know how hard that can be and to stay focused but setting up a plan or schedule in order of priority really helps me stay on track! Even planning your assignments before jumping into them, this really helps set out the work in front of you - having the sources, research and structure already there! Then it’s just a case of putting everything in place, one thing at a time.

Hope this helps,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending