The Student Room Group

burnt out

i'm in the half term between my gcses right now and i'm feeling so burnt out. i'm usually really motivated, but i just can't seem to focus and revise properly and i really don't want this to affect my upcoming exams. any tips to feel a bit more motivated and get my head down with revision??
Original post by da0sy
i'm in the half term between my gcses right now and i'm feeling so burnt out. i'm usually really motivated, but i just can't seem to focus and revise properly and i really don't want this to affect my upcoming exams. any tips to feel a bit more motivated and get my head down with revision??

Maybe try revising something small for a short amount of time, and see if that helps. If your phone is distracting you, either put it on aeroplane mode or put it another room where it cannot distract you. This may not help, but it might be worth a try.
Reply 2
i feel that i can focus better when i have a change in environment and don't sit at home, so going to cafes tend to be quite useful or libraries if you don't like the noise.
Original post by ash.ri
i feel that i can focus better when i have a change in environment and don't sit at home, so going to cafes tend to be quite useful or libraries if you don't like the noise.

Exactly change SOMETHING anything in your environment

Spend time with different people
Study to different music
Study somewhere else ( like a cafe or even a different room in your house)
Try new activities ( the other day I went archery with my friends and I REALLY enjoyed it. It helped my exam stress induced irritability (frr))
Binge a new show ( well not LITERALLY binge if u ain't got time but yk)

If you want music or show recs, PM me I would be MORE than glad to help:smile:
Reply 4
thank you everyone for all your suggestions :smile:
Original post by da0sy

If you feel burnt out, best thing to do is take a small break - it can be a few hours or a day if needed, but take some hours for yourself, to recharge a bit. Do something relaxing, like reading or just watching some nextflix or something active, like sports or going outside for a bit.
After that, you may feel better, but you don't want to make yourself feel worse after you start your revision session - so I suggest a change of environment. Sit by some sunlight, or in the sunlight if you want! Or go to a public area like a library or cafe, or if you can't physically move anywhere, try standing and studying or walking around and studying - just try anything to switch it up a bit, so it doesn't get mundane.
Another tip, is to give yourself a set amount of work to do and nothing more than that (only give yourself an amount of work you think you can manage - for example, don't make yourself do 4 past papers, watch video explanations of topics, go through 50 flashcards and write an english essay in the space of 6 hours), the aim of giving yourself a set amount of work is to make you feel like it's a manageable amount of work and let you feel like you've done some studying so you go to sleep happy and rested.
Something else you can do is use the good old reward system, if you do this amount of work, you get this as a reward, this is (imo) the most effective and quickest way to get you motivated, so you can get started easily.

One last thing! At the end of the day, this is your half-term holidays, as much as you want to study and revise, don't forget this is a time for you to recharge yourself and give your self a well-deserved break for your hard work and effort until now! Spend some time with friends and family, do stuff that make you happy and most importantly, look after yourself! Not just physically, but also mentally - you may have high expectations for yourself, but I can guarantee that all your hard work will not go to waste!
Keep pushing through and good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest