The Student Room Group

Applying to a job in the department I'm about to graduate from?

I'm about to graduate from my undergraduate degree and thus have been thinking about what I will do after. I would like to do a master's degree but since I can't afford it right now I, of course, need a job for the next year in order to save up for it and start in 2024.

I saw an admin job is being advertised in the department which I studied for the last three years - it caught my eye because I would love to be able to stay living in my university city the next year, and I also really love my department and it's a good opportunity to stay and keep contributing. It is a customer-facing job where you can help out with student enquiries and their overall experience.

However, I have some worries about it. First, I don't have any office experience (I only have a little bit of retail-based customer service experience), so I don't know if I'm even a viable candidate. Would my ability to relate to students since I have been in their exact position (which is listed as a required skill) be enough?
In the case that I did get the job somehow, some of my friends are going into their final year and I know some other students as well, and I don't know if this would be an issue. I am also worried as for my postgraduate, I'd probably want to come back to the department as a student after working for them - it's just something that I've never seen anyone do before. A more practical issue is that until/if I found a house in the city, I'd have to commute up to 2 hours (in total) a day using the train and walking to get there. I'm worried that in the case I couldn't find accommodation, it wouldn't be a very sustainable schedule.

I was wondering if anyone has insight into any of these worries, and if you were me, would you just apply and see what happens or pass on it? Thanks!
Hi!

First of all, if you really feel that a Master's degree is the right path for you, do not put off your dreams easily :biggrin:. Find out whether you would be eligible for a student loan. Then, research universities that offer bursaries and scholarships. You will be surprised how generous support you can receive. At De Montfort University, we have a spectrum of those for students willing to continue their education!

However, if you decide to take a year off and work, you can definitely apply for a job at your university. There is nothing weird about that :wink: I have been working for my university for almost a year and simultaneously, I am a student there. It is actually appreciated because you are the person who knows your university the best and can share your own experience.

I loved how you described why the offer caught your eye :u: That is a lovely beginning that you can use in the cover letter! Also, the retail experience will be valuable because excellent customer service is an important part of an admin position.

Do not worry that you do not have office experience. Those stuff can be easily learned. Just express your willingness to learn and that you have fast-learning skills in your cover letter. A critical thing is to sell yourself nicely. It is very hard to meet all the requirements that employers desire these days. As long as you have some of them and know how to present yourself in the best way, you are a strong candidate.

Even if you do not find accommodation (but I am pretty sure you will), two hours per day does not sound that bad and is worth a pleasurable and well-paid job :redface:

I hope that was helpful! If you have any more questions, I will be more than happy to help :h:

Take care,

Julia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending