The Student Room Group

Less than funny

Had a very good time last night, went out in Nottingham and got back kind of pished at about 3am, went to another flat where my friends where, played a bit of pro evo and had a bit more to drink. so as you can imagine now I have a bit of a hangover.

This is the earliest i've woken up without having a lecture since i've been at uni, had the residency manager at my door at 9am saying i had to go to her office immediatley. It turns out that yet again the flat downstairs have complained about us making noise. They complained in freshers week that we shut cupboard doors too loudly and scrape chairs delibaratley :rolleyes: They seem to make a habit of complaining so previously a lot of the time when we all come back drunk we've knocked on their door for revenge. Apparently they complained again last night and i'm now on my final warning about living in these Halls.

so im really not happy about the threat of being kicked out because of some arsey boring ***** downstairs, got into a sort of mini fight with one of the people down there the other day and naturally made it clear to the residency manager that she is a complete ****** for just believing all of their complaints.

But seriously what do people expect living at Halls in Uni? anyone else have arsey ***** in their flat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's ridiculous. Surely they'd expect there to be noise in halls?! Uni's a time to party and get away from people like your parents who grumble about what time you come home and how much noise you make. Buy them some ear plugs and tell them to go to hell!
I suggest you go and see the residence manager and say that it is unfair that noise complaints are dealt with in such a manner (guilt presumed). You cannot go around in perfect silence all the time. Maybe the cheapo construction of the building is more at fault than your level of decibels.
Reply 3
ChemistBoy
I suggest you go and see the residence manager and say that it is unfair that noise complaints are dealt with in such a manner (guilt presumed). You cannot go around in perfect silence all the time. Maybe the cheapo construction of the building is more at fault than your level of decibels.

yeah had a good argument with the residency manager about it, she was having none of it and claims that she has had security spying on me and witnessing me causing trouble, I wasnt taking her threats without having a good go at her, and Chardonnay, you've got it in one, that was a point i made to the residency manager, what do they expect living in Uni Halls?
Reply 4
have you tried knocking on the door of the people downstairs and talking to them about it?

I had the same problem at halls but the people below us eventually moved out. boring sods :biggrin:
Reply 5
sublime_envy
have you tried knocking on the door of the people downstairs and talking to them about it?

I had the same problem at halls but the people below us eventually moved out. boring sods :biggrin:

pretty much when uni started our flat had a meeting with their flat about the noise, their complaints were still petty and it just wasnt sorted, obviously still isnt sorted.....
Reply 6
swap flats for a day and see if they make any noise
Reply 7
sublime_envy
swap flats for a day and see if they make any noise

but it's not even noise from our flat, thats the problem, i went to the flat opposite them last night cos I have mates then, and they complained about us then.
Reply 8
serious narb
but it's not even noise from our flat, thats the problem, i went to the flat opposite them last night cos I have mates then, and they complained about us then.

Sounds like they've just got issues with you rather than what you're doing then. That's totally unfair - and it sounds like your residency manager isn't being much help either!
Reply 9

My flat is far too quiet because they're all international students who hang out with their own crew. The rest are mature students and we have a warden in our flat! :eek: :eek: :eek:

They need to lighten up big time. Yes excessive constant noise is taking the mick especially when exams are coming up, but the whole point of halls is to have a laugh, and that involves making noise sometimes!

I'd try going to talk to them if you think you could do it without wanting to fly kick them :smile:
Chardonnay
Sounds like they've just got issues with you rather than what you're doing then. That's totally unfair - and it sounds like your residency manager isn't being much help either!

yeah thats what it seems like, no idea why though, i'll be the 1st to admit that a few times we have come back drunk and made a bit of noise but they should just live with it.
Raise an official complaint of persecution with the hall manager.

Dig out your residency agreement and check the small print, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be setting security to spy on anyone without giving you some sort of warning that that will be the case.

Also formally request under the data protection act to see all the "facts" they've recorded about your behaiviour.

It sounds like your hall manager has "taken sides" in a personality issue instead of trying to remain neutral.
PQ
Raise an official complaint of persecution with the hall manager.

Dig out your residency agreement and check the small print, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be setting security to spy on anyone without giving you some sort of warning that that will be the case.

Also formally request under the data protection act to see all the "facts" they've recorded about your behaiviour.

It sounds like your hall manager has "taken sides" in a personality issue instead of trying to remain neutral.

sounds like you are right, some good ideas there as well, cant be arsed to do most of that stuff though but i will definitley be taking it further if anything else comes of it :smile:
"Our lively residences are the perfect place to get into the buzz of student life and make friends you’ll keep throughout your time here."
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/crs/students/

Hardly a promise of peace a quiet and no noise....

"# You’ll receive first-class customer service from our friendly and efficient staff. But don’t just take our word for it you’ll be invited to give your comments too. We’re confident we’ll achieve at least 85% in all satisfaction surveys.
# While we hope you won’t have reason to complain, we’ve set up a complaints procedure just in case. You should talk to your hall manager in the first instance, who will log the complaint and respond within 7 working days."
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/crs/students/accomm/student_promise.htm
Reply 14
PQ
"Our lively residences are the perfect place to get into the buzz of student life and make friends you’ll keep throughout your time here."

"# You’ll receive first-class customer service from our friendly and efficient staff. But don’t just take our word for it you’ll be invited to give your comments too. We’re confident we’ll achieve at least 85% in all satisfaction surveys.
# While we hope you won’t have reason to complain, we’ve set up a complaints procedure just in case. You should talk to your hall manager in the first instance, who will log the complaint and respond within 7 working days."

Do Southampton have something similar? About complaints. Some contractors came to fix my shower and left my door open the weekend AND used my toilet. And now the water pressure is too high so it floods the bathroom within about 2 mins. Logged complaints but nothing has happened. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
PQ

cheers, got a feeling that it may have been the Hall manager who woke me up today though :biggrin: but really if anything ever comes of this i'll certainly be taking this further, im not going down without a fight :cool:
Sarky

Do Southampton have something similar? About complaints.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No I'm afraid not...Business Services are CRAP

the people (and contact details) to pester about it are here: http://www.accommodation.soton.ac.uk/structure.pdf TBH the reception staff are always pants (not their fault though - there tends not to be much communication between the management and....well.....ANYONE!)

I'd suggest the only real way to get things sorted out is to email Dave Berry directly with a read reciept, explaining when and who you've complained to and that nothing has been done (and that if nothing gets done soon the repeated flooding is going to cause damage far more expensive to sort out than fixing the problem in the first place). Give him a week to respond and if he ignores you copy it in to the VC ( search for wakeham on the internal email address search ) asking when you will recieve some sort of acknowledgement.
Reply 17
Make uber-lots of complaints about them, over *anything*. So they know what its like to be presecuted!
Reply 18
blackmail would solve this problem
Reply 19
serious narb
Had a very good time last night, went out in Nottingham and got back kind of pished at about 3am, went to another flat where my friends where, played a bit of pro evo and had a bit more to drink. so as you can imagine now I have a bit of a hangover.

This is the earliest i've woken up without having a lecture since i've been at uni, had the residency manager at my door at 9am saying i had to go to her office immediatley. It turns out that yet again the flat downstairs have complained about us making noise. They complained in freshers week that we shut cupboard doors too loudly and scrape chairs delibaratley :rolleyes: They seem to make a habit of complaining so previously a lot of the time when we all come back drunk we've knocked on their door for revenge. Apparently they complained again last night and i'm now on my final warning about living in these Halls.

so im really not happy about the threat of being kicked out because of some arsey boring ***** downstairs, got into a sort of mini fight with one of the people down there the other day and naturally made it clear to the residency manager that she is a complete ****** for just believing all of their complaints.

But seriously what do people expect living at Halls in Uni? anyone else have arsey ***** in their flat?

some people sleep at night and dont need disturbance.

my advice would be take heed of the warning before you get booted out.

Latest

Trending

Trending