The Student Room Group

Funding for a top up degree

Hi,

I'm trying ascertain whether I will be eligible for funding from SFE for a top up degree.

for reference, my timeline is this

1 year in an archaeology degree (funded by SFE)

transferred onto a fine art degree after dropping that course

3 years then in Fine art degree (all funded by SFE)

i then failed my 2 modules in year 3 of Fine art degree and then re sat both modules the following year which i self funded and subsequently didn't pass the final module due to not enough time to make the all the work required for the hand in (coursework) (only producing art between (feb to may)

after this i graduated without honours and never contested the decision made by the tutor who graded my work and failing my work due to there not being enough of it. (which retrospectively i wish i did as i have evidence from the course leader in emails telling me the quantity of work will not be an issue and will not be considered in marking as i was only able to attend university and join on the course between feb to may)

My friends have told me to consider a top up degree but i thought it would be similar in when i self funded but that was just for the two modules as whole, not a whole year (which is what it appears to be when i check cost for top up degrees)

i cannot afford to fund a full years study

Please can anyone assist?
Original post by jrt1994
Hi,

I'm trying ascertain whether I will be eligible for funding from SFE for a top up degree.

for reference, my timeline is this

1 year in an archaeology degree (funded by SFE)

transferred onto a fine art degree after dropping that course

3 years then in Fine art degree (all funded by SFE)

i then failed my 2 modules in year 3 of Fine art degree and then re sat both modules the following year which i self funded and subsequently didn't pass the final module due to not enough time to make the all the work required for the hand in (coursework) (only producing art between (feb to may)

after this i graduated without honours and never contested the decision made by the tutor who graded my work and failing my work due to there not being enough of it. (which retrospectively i wish i did as i have evidence from the course leader in emails telling me the quantity of work will not be an issue and will not be considered in marking as i was only able to attend university and join on the course between feb to may)

My friends have told me to consider a top up degree but i thought it would be similar in when i self funded but that was just for the two modules as whole, not a whole year (which is what it appears to be when i check cost for top up degrees)

i cannot afford to fund a full years study

Please can anyone assist?

Hi there,

When would you be looking to do the Top-up year? What subject would the top-up be for? We can offer support for Top-up courses. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
I have no specific dates of enrolment, it would have to be a subject related to Fine art, but not yet thought which. at my first glance, as i passed my my other 2 modules of year 3 (only failing the 3rd and final module) that i would just need to do a module of a degree that would allow me to top with enough points to get a classifcation on my degree.

I guess its two questions, can i get funding for say, 1 module in a year 3 course, or can i get funding to do the whole year on a relevant course given i have had SFE fund 4 years work of education
Original post by jrt1994
I have no specific dates of enrolment, it would have to be a subject related to Fine art, but not yet thought which. at my first glance, as i passed my my other 2 modules of year 3 (only failing the 3rd and final module) that i would just need to do a module of a degree that would allow me to top with enough points to get a classifcation on my degree.

I guess its two questions, can i get funding for say, 1 module in a year 3 course, or can i get funding to do the whole year on a relevant course given i have had SFE fund 4 years work of education

Hi,

If you have received 4 years of our funding previously and self funded a year on your own your previous study would total to 5 years. The way we work out entitlement is:
length of the course + 1 additional year - previous study = years of entitlement

From what I gather, you're looking to do 1 module on a 3 year course so it would be:
3 + 1 - 5 = -1 year. This means you would not qualify for support. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending