The Student Room Group

Coventry university Psychology MSc

Hi everyone I am due to be starting the Psychology MSc Part time online at CU. I was just wondering if anyone has studied this before. And what do you think of the course? In terms of difficulty does it feel like a big step up from BSc. I will also be working full-time as a mental health nurse, do you think The workload is manageable?
Thanks, Liam.
Original post by liam-cowton
Hi everyone I am due to be starting the Psychology MSc Part time online at CU. I was just wondering if anyone has studied this before. And what do you think of the course? In terms of difficulty does it feel like a big step up from BSc. I will also be working full-time as a mental health nurse, do you think The workload is manageable?
Thanks, Liam.

@liam-cowton
Thank you for the amazing work you do as a mental health nurse, I train nurses for a living and I'm sure you are doing a great job!

I did my MSc Psychology conversion at Arden University, the program is pretty much the same everywhere as it is validated by the British Psychological Society.

Oddly, I didn't think it was that much of a step up, I had a 1st BA Hons Sociology when I started, but I had 2 years of post grad experience already from my PGCE and PGC SENDco. Research methods was a bit of a slog, there is a brilliant book by Coolican which is worth checking out called 'Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology' which will help with 2 unit's and your dissertation.

Always check the referencing guide for your new University, it may/probably will be different to previous study

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by liam-cowton
Thanks, Liam.

Hi @liam-cowton,

All the best with the course and your work!

I am currently an undergraduate student in my final year so do not have much of an insight into masters unfortunately. However, I would like to share some things you can do or consider to maintain a balance between work and life as it seems you will be quite busy!

The first thing I would say is to establish a support system/be aware of the resources available to you in terms of wellbeing. This could be local services or university based resources. The next thing I would say is to be honest with your supervisor/academic mentor (if you have one) about how things are going week to week/month to month. If they are aware of what is on your plate they will be able to support you better. Finally, carve out time for yourself everyday. Simply resting, while at first seems counterproductive, can really help with productivity long term so you don't burn out!

I wish you all the best and good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest