The Student Room Group

DVLA application for motorcycle license

I find as an irish citizen living in England, despite being able to do all the same things as an english citizen without needing citizenship or a visa, information on how to apply for certain things and procedures is just non existent... or very vague.

Anyway, I'm Applying for a provisional liscense as I wish to start riding motorcycles, I've never had a liscense before, all the documents say to be able to take the tests to ride a motorcycle you need to have a "provisional motorcycle license", so I go on the application website and get told I have to use the old website for applications (to send in my irish passport)

My questions are:
1- The application i have done is for a provisional license, does this have motorcycle entitlement by default?

2- if not, how and when do I state I want motorcycle entitlement on my licence?

The DVLA won't answer the phone and won't answer my online messages. I'd appreciate any answers.

(edit: please note I have asked about provisional licenses before on here but that was for the purpose of ID, not driving, in this instance I desire it for driving, thank you.)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Provisional insurance covers both cars, bikes and quadbikes - there is no seperate provisional for each licence

Once you have your provisional insurance you will need to book a CBT test before you can start riding (I assume you know this already)

After that you can drive with L plates for 2 years with certain restrictions (engine size, power, no pillions) or you can then do your theory and practical motorcycle tests :smile:
Original post by oligti
Provisional insurance covers both cars, bikes and quadbikes - there is no seperate provisional for each licence

Once you have your provisional insurance you will need to book a CBT test before you can start riding (I assume you know this already)

After that you can drive with L plates for 2 years with certain restrictions (engine size, power, no pillions) or you can then do your theory and practical motorcycle tests :smile:

Cheers for that I appreciate the response, again the wording online is very unusual? I was unable to locate any documents saying explicitly that a provisionals cover all 3...

I do intend to do my full license before getting on the road, I understood the legislation I just wanted to be sure that when I went in for my CBT I wasn't going to need a different provisional license...

Thank you for the help!
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending