The Student Room Group

Best psychology courses for predicated grades ABB.

Hello all!

I've been chipping away at my personal statement, which is going well, and working hard to achieve my predicted grades of Biology, Psychology, and Sociology with ABB respectively.

However, the daunting question that I've left up until now is what University I want to go to, let alone if I even want to go to University.
I hate the idea of being so far away from my home, so initially I looked for Universities near the London area, as I love South East, but they seem to have really high grade requirements. I can perhaps scrounge an AAB, but I don't want to put myself to an unachievable level.

Courses such as Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology at Manchester, or Nottingham Trent's Educational and Development Psychology really interest me, as I'd like to become a therapist when I'm older, but I'm not sure if these courses or Uni's will allow me to get a job??

I feel like the idea of accommodation scares me, as in I don't like the idea of a shared toilet, showers, and kitchen. I'm a very clean person, and the thought of putting my washing in shared washing machines for an exorbitant price don't make me feel good.

I'd love to have some insight from Undergraduates and University students alike, and to at least get a start on my applications and choices. Thank you for reading the post up until now, and can't wait to read your replies!
Hi @mob_lmao,
Great to hear that you're planning ahead for uni applications already! Just thought I'd pop on here and ask if you've considered studying here at Reading?
We have a number of different Psychology courses: straight Psychology with the option of an additional placement year, or joint honours with Art, Philosophy or Language Sciences, all of which have entry requirements of ABB, and some different courses such as Psychology with Neuroscience or our MSci in Applied Psychology (Clinical) which have requirements of AAB (though we do offer contextual offers to those who meet the requirements). All of our Psychology courses will mean you graduate with BPS accreditation, meaning the Society recognise you'll have a whole range of profound skills and the opportunity to access a wide range of training, development and employment opportunities as a graduate as well as a student. You can check out all our Psychology courses here.

If you'd like, you can find out about our diverse range of accommodation options here (I would recommend looking at Greenow and McCombie for private bathrooms and slightly smaller flats, but there's plenty of options!) and also check out our student life and facilities here to make sure you think the campus is the right fit for you. I love it because there's so many study spaces across campus and plenty to do in terms of societies and clubs too. (you can find out about them here, our Psychology society is quite popular with freshers every year!). Getting home to London is super easy too, there's buses directly to/from uni and the station, and its 22 minutes to Paddington on the Elizabeth line.
Please let us know if you have any questions about campus, course options or accommodation - we'll be more than happy to help!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 2
Original post by mob_lmao
Hello all!

I've been chipping away at my personal statement, which is going well, and working hard to achieve my predicted grades of Biology, Psychology, and Sociology with ABB respectively.

However, the daunting question that I've left up until now is what University I want to go to, let alone if I even want to go to University.
I hate the idea of being so far away from my home, so initially I looked for Universities near the London area, as I love South East, but they seem to have really high grade requirements. I can perhaps scrounge an AAB, but I don't want to put myself to an unachievable level.

Courses such as Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology at Manchester, or Nottingham Trent's Educational and Development Psychology really interest me, as I'd like to become a therapist when I'm older, but I'm not sure if these courses or Uni's will allow me to get a job??

I feel like the idea of accommodation scares me, as in I don't like the idea of a shared toilet, showers, and kitchen. I'm a very clean person, and the thought of putting my washing in shared washing machines for an exorbitant price don't make me feel good.

I'd love to have some insight from Undergraduates and University students alike, and to at least get a start on my applications and choices. Thank you for reading the post up until now, and can't wait to read your replies!

If you're interested in being a therapist in the future, you should do a BPS accredited degree. Both the degrees you mention here are BPS accredited as far as I can tell, so they won't prevent you from getting a job! With psychology and practicing as a clinical psychologist or as a counsellor/therapist the more important part is getting postgraduate training for the job, and a lot of these postgraduate courses (particularly clinical psychology) require a BPS accredited undergraduate Psychology degree. They are also competitive however, so getting into therapy as a career will also potentially require research and work experience before you apply for postgraduate study. You can start to get this experience at undergrad - and I think most unis will have scope for this if you work hard and are proactive about looking for opportunities. Going to a highly ranked uni might help a bit but if admissions to a clinical psychology doctorate came down to someone who went to a Russell Group university but had no relevant experience vs someone who didn't go to a RG uni but had worked as an Assistant Psychologist for 2 years after graduating I'd imagine the latter would get the place!

With regards to your other concerns about university, I agree the living situation can be daunting at first. But I think the scenes you sometimes see online of horrible mouldy kitchens with overflowing bins and rats are a rare extreme rather than the norm! And most people only live in that sort of uni halls style accommodation in first year, after that people tend to move into student houses in groups so if you find some like minded friends to live with you can have a clean house and a washing machine that you aren't paying to use (though I guess you still are paying the electricity bill!). Many accommodations also have ensuites so you could avoid shared bathrooms. And if sharing any facilities was a massive problem there are also studio flat options though they can get very pricey. I wouldn't let accommodation put you off university though as I think most people find they settle in fairly quickly even if the whole thing terrified them to begin with. And if you want to become a therapist it is likely you would need to go to university.

Quick Reply

Latest