The Student Room Group

Psychology conversion course (masters)UK

Hello all, I'm considering studying my masters psychology conversion after.completing my bachelors in sports. Would I be able to begin a career in the psychology field? As I'm not particularly wanting to do a docorate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Original post by Kbeadle
Hello all, I'm considering studying my masters psychology conversion after.completing my bachelors in sports. Would I be able to begin a career in the psychology field? As I'm not particularly wanting to do a docorate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

It really depends on what you wish to do within psychology - there are a mind-boggling amount of different careers and each has a different route into it. You can't become a clinical psychologist without a doctorate, for example. But for something like, say, sports psychology, you can get away with doing an additional masters on sports psychology after you do the psychology conversion course and then doing some years of supervised practice before you're good to go, avoiding a doctorate altogether.
Original post by Kbeadle

Hi! If your conversion course is accredited by the British Psychological Society, you should have a fair amount of careers opportunities open up for you. However, if you want to do clinical psychology you would most likely have to do a DClinPsy. Other psychology areas may require more training but in the form of smaller certifications, such as a CBT course or counselling qualification. So overall, it really depends how you want to use your masters and degree.
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest