The Student Room Group

International Student Applying to MSc Psychology (Conversion) Course

Hi All! I am an American student and recently got several acceptances to top US masters programs for Social Work even though I come from a tech background. After leaving a relationship that was holding me back from moving to the UK, I've decided to apply to some UK MSc programs for Psychology. However, I have no understanding of the UK process!

Questions:
1. Is it too late to apply for Fall 2023?
2. I have a basic personal statement that I adjust and tweak for each prompt, but wasn't sure how heavily personal experience matters vs. why you want to go to that particular program (in the US I found that the personal experience subject matter is more important).
3. How difficult is it to get into these MSc programs? Since these are conversion programs, I wasn't sure what the acceptance rates look like compared to a full masters program.
Original post by akteam123
Hi All! I am an American student and recently got several acceptances to top US masters programs for Social Work even though I come from a tech background. After leaving a relationship that was holding me back from moving to the UK, I've decided to apply to some UK MSc programs for Psychology. However, I have no understanding of the UK process!

Questions:
2. I have a basic personal statement that I adjust and tweak for each prompt, but wasn't sure how heavily personal experience matters vs. why you want to go to that particular program (in the US I found that the personal experience subject matter is more important).
3. How difficult is it to get into these MSc programs? Since these are conversion programs, I wasn't sure what the acceptance rates look like compared to a full masters program.

Hello!

It's great to hear that you're considering pursuing an MSc in Psychology (Conversion), especially since I am currently studying the same course at the University of Surrey! :smile:

The application process is typically straightforward. You can visit the university's website, go to the page of the specific course you wish to apply for, and click on the "apply now" button. From there, you will need to fill out the required forms and provide the necessary information.

1. It may not be too late to apply—it really depends on the number of applications the university has received that year. With master's courses, there appears to be more flexibility.

2. I think the personal statement is the perfect opportunity to show why you're interested in changing career fields. It may not be as important to have extensive experience since that might be the reason for your career switch. I would recommend demonstrating your passion. They want to know if you have an idea of where the course will take you, either in terms of your career or skills.

3. Since it's a conversion course, there will be a diverse range of applicants from various backgrounds. I think that if you have undergraduate qualifications and can demonstrate your passion, there shouldn't be too many issues.

Best of luck! :smile:
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student
Original post by akteam123

Questions:

@akteam123
Hello! Conversion courses are increasingly popular - I completed my MSc Psychology conversion a few years back and had a great time, there was a really diverse student cohort where I studied.

For an unbiased view, check out the QAA Report and Teaching Excellence Framework Report for each provider - they are both readily available online. I did my course at Arden University where the course is fully accredited with the British Psychological Society.. They have the best online learning environment I have seen working in 10 years of education. At Arden there is a blended learning program but also the chance to do it 100% online.

Welcome to the UK and I hope you enjoy your stay :smile:

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Hi Sam!

Amazing! This is so helpful! Thank you!

Do you know on average or at least in your experience, how long it took for you to hear back from university with a decision on your application? I am now applying and hope to hear back by mid-july. Is that unrealistic?
Reply 4
Hi Sam!

Amazing! This is so helpful! Thank you!

Do you know on average or at least in your experience, how long it took for you to hear back from university with a decision on your application? I am now applying and hope to hear back by mid-july. Is that unrealistic?

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hello!

It's great to hear that you're considering pursuing an MSc in Psychology (Conversion), especially since I am currently studying the same course at the University of Surrey! :smile:

The application process is typically straightforward. You can visit the university's website, go to the page of the specific course you wish to apply for, and click on the "apply now" button. From there, you will need to fill out the required forms and provide the necessary information.

1. It may not be too late to apply—it really depends on the number of applications the university has received that year. With master's courses, there appears to be more flexibility.

2. I think the personal statement is the perfect opportunity to show why you're interested in changing career fields. It may not be as important to have extensive experience since that might be the reason for your career switch. I would recommend demonstrating your passion. They want to know if you have an idea of where the course will take you, either in terms of your career or skills.

3. Since it's a conversion course, there will be a diverse range of applicants from various backgrounds. I think that if you have undergraduate qualifications and can demonstrate your passion, there shouldn't be too many issues.

Best of luck! :smile:
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student
Reply 5
Hi Marc!

Great! Thank you. I'll have to check it out! Do you know how long it takes to hear back on a decision of acceptance?

Original post by Arden University
@akteam123
Hello! Conversion courses are increasingly popular - I completed my MSc Psychology conversion a few years back and had a great time, there was a really diverse student cohort where I studied.

For an unbiased view, check out the QAA Report and Teaching Excellence Framework Report for each provider - they are both readily available online. I did my course at Arden University where the course is fully accredited with the British Psychological Society.. They have the best online learning environment I have seen working in 10 years of education. At Arden there is a blended learning program but also the chance to do it 100% online.

Welcome to the UK and I hope you enjoy your stay :smile:

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending