The Student Room Group

ULaw PgDL - open or closed book exams?

On the ULaw PgDL website it says under Assessment that "All modules will incorporate 40% examination by Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs) to support any future progress onto SQE1 assessment. The other 60% will vary according to the module. These will include online open book examination, coursework, oral presentation."

https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/pgdl/online

But when you click to download the course structure the PDF only makes reference to closed book exams:

https://www.law.ac.uk/globalassets/13.-media--doc-repo/01.-study/programme-specifications/pdf_study_programme-specification-pgdl-law-conversion.pdf .

I'm wondering if maybe the open book was just a temporary measure due to Covid and it's going back to closed maybe?

Can anyone verify whether the exams will be open or closed book for the course starting Sept 2023?
Original post by Db2r
On the ULaw PgDL website it says under Assessment that "All modules will incorporate 40% examination by Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs) to support any future progress onto SQE1 assessment. The other 60% will vary according to the module. These will include online open book examination, coursework, oral presentation."

https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/pgdl/online

But when you click to download the course structure the PDF only makes reference to closed book exams:

https://www.law.ac.uk/globalassets/13.-media--doc-repo/01.-study/programme-specifications/pdf_study_programme-specification-pgdl-law-conversion.pdf .

I'm wondering if maybe the open book was just a temporary measure due to Covid and it's going back to closed maybe?

Can anyone verify whether the exams will be open or closed book for the course starting Sept 2023?

Hi @Db2r!

I unfortunately cannot confirm for starting Sep 2023, however, I have just completed the PGDL at ULaw (started Sep 2022) and all of the exams were open book. Of course, the exams being open book is very useful and prevents you from having to memorise reams of statute and cases etc. However, I must warn you that the time limit in each exam is very tight and you will not have much time to look up answers at all (particularly in the online written examinations). Also, for two of your modules 60% will be based off an oral exam and these are nigh on impossible to look up notes as you are on a face to face call with the examiner (it is permitted but you will lose a lot of marks for hesitation etc). I know that I am unable to confirm whether your exams will also be open book but seeing as Covid was not a consideration at any point during my studies I would be very surprised if they changed it. If you really want to confirm your answer I would recommend emailing [email protected]

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Db2r!

I unfortunately cannot confirm for starting Sep 2023, however, I have just completed the PGDL at ULaw (started Sep 2022) and all of the exams were open book. Of course, the exams being open book is very useful and prevents you from having to memorise reams of statute and cases etc. However, I must warn you that the time limit in each exam is very tight and you will not have much time to look up answers at all (particularly in the online written examinations). Also, for two of your modules 60% will be based off an oral exam and these are nigh on impossible to look up notes as you are on a face to face call with the examiner (it is permitted but you will lose a lot of marks for hesitation etc). I know that I am unable to confirm whether your exams will also be open book but seeing as Covid was not a consideration at any point during my studies I would be very surprised if they changed it. If you really want to confirm your answer I would recommend emailing [email protected]

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law :smile:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Point taken about the time limits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending