The Student Room Group

Low ranked uni to a highly ranked university for MSc

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Winchester reading BSc Software Engineering. In my second year my median grade was above 90%, with my grades ranging from 100% to 72%. My A level grades were not strong due to severe Mental Health issues caused by the COVID lockdown.

I have been working 2 days a week as a software developer for half of my second year and am now also working 3 days on a different development job over the summer. I also have an AWS certification, have trained myself in methods in software architecture design and requirements engineering and have worked professionally with multiple programming languages and frameworks.

Would I still stand a chance of a successful application when applying to Russel group universities for a MSc in Software Engineering or Computer Science? Specifically please may I ask about Southampton, Exeter, UCL, KCL and St Andrews? I am concerned that the ranking of my university will cause my applications to be rejected.

Many thanks
They’ll predominately be looking at your undergrad academics. My Uni does look at ranking for a small part of our masters selection but I sense we’re in the minority and it’s a negligible part of the overall application.

In short, apply wherever you fancy with those grades.
Reply 2
Thank you very much, that is comforting to hear. I appreciate you taking time out to help me with this.

Please may I also ask when in my final year I should look to start applying for more competitive courses?
Original post by Benwright9400
I am an undergraduate student at the University of Winchester reading BSc Software Engineering. In my second year my median grade was above 90%, with my grades ranging from 100% to 72%. My A level grades were not strong due to severe Mental Health issues caused by the COVID lockdown.

I have been working 2 days a week as a software developer for half of my second year and am now also working 3 days on a different development job over the summer. I also have an AWS certification, have trained myself in methods in software architecture design and requirements engineering and have worked professionally with multiple programming languages and frameworks.

Would I still stand a chance of a successful application when applying to Russel group universities for a MSc in Software Engineering or Computer Science? Specifically please may I ask about Southampton, Exeter, UCL, KCL and St Andrews? I am concerned that the ranking of my university will cause my applications to be rejected.

Many thanks

Yes
Original post by Benwright9400
Thank you very much, that is comforting to hear. I appreciate you taking time out to help me with this.

Please may I also ask when in my final year I should look to start applying for more competitive courses?

As soon as their application process opens unless you think you’d have a stronger application by waiting for a bit, eg. Improved grades or more relevant experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending