The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What award could I get if I drop out now?

Hi all, looking for advice please. Does anyone have any idea what award I could get if I drop out from my UG BSc course, unfortunately I cannot continue the course for the foreseeable future, and may be best to withdraw, but would like to know what award (if any) I could get.

I have total 300 credits:
120 at Level 4
120 at Level 5
60 at Level 6

Not sure of its relevant but all modules grades are either high 2:1 or 1st

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by poozy
Hi all, looking for advice please. Does anyone have any idea what award I could get if I drop out from my UG BSc course, unfortunately I cannot continue the course for the foreseeable future, and may be best to withdraw, but would like to know what award (if any) I could get.

120 at Level 4
120 at Level 5
60 at Level 6

Subject to your university's regulations, what you've done so far may qualify you for an unclassified ordinary degree -- i.e. a BSc without honours.

I would look to see whether you can suspend studies rather than withdraw at this point -- that would keep your options open to return later; but note that you probably wouldn't be able to suspend indefinitely. You haven't given details of why you're thinking of withdrawing and you might not want to discuss them here -- but given a good reason, it's likely that the university would allow a suspension of studies for 12 months, and possibly for a second 12 month period following that. If you're not able to return from a suspension then an exit award could be made at that point.

It would be best to discuss your situation with your personal tutor and your university's wellbeing services to talk through what options are available before making a decision.

Edit: I hadn't noticed that this was in the Open University forum, and the approach the OU takes might be different from a "bricks-and-mortar" university -- I think the OU can be more flexible on things like this. But my suggestion of talking to your tutor and wellbeing services still stands.
(edited 2 months ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
From the looks of it, you completed the first two years, so should equal a DipHE
Original post by poozy

120 at Level 4
120 at Level 5
60 at Level 6

As martin7 has already said, 300 credits is enough for an ordinary degree. It would be such a shame to discontinue your studies so close to the finish line. Nor sure why you are considering it, but if you can find a way to complete the last 60 credits, definitely try to do so.
Original post by Veet Voojagig
As martin7 has already said, 300 credits is enough for an ordinary degree. It would be such a shame to discontinue your studies so close to the finish line. Nor sure why you are considering it, but if you can find a way to complete the last 60 credits, definitely try to do so.

The OU doesn't offer ordinary degrees as far as I'm aware, so OP has enough credits for a DipHE and would get separate certificates/statements for their level 3 modules.

Quick Reply

Latest