The Student Room Group

Copyrighting a name

So I've started an instagram page and am experiencing steady growth. There are other accounts using my name and also I want to keep the name protected so noone can use it is there a copyright option e.g. if the name of my brand on instagram is appledirect is there a way to copyright that name? Secondly, Is there a way for me to copyright all my posts so people cant use them without giving my account credit?
Reply 1
Usernames are unique for each users. People can slightly alter it and nothing wrong in doing so.

You cannot copyright posts as you upload to a public site Instagram owns copyrights to posts which it can share as it like.

However you can copyright the content, logo, font and any branding assets. Most people include a small logo to videos and posts they don't want people to use it for themselves.
Reply 2
Original post by Reddy55
Usernames are unique for each users. People can slightly alter it and nothing wrong in doing so.

You cannot copyright posts as you upload to a public site Instagram owns copyrights to posts which it can share as it like.

However you can copyright the content, logo, font and any branding assets. Most people include a small logo to videos and posts they don't want people to use it for themselves.

how do i copyright my content logo etc? Also can you recommend me a good website for me to create my own website on please Thanks for all your support
Reply 3
Original post by Reddy55

That's not correct. Except in limited circumstances, copyright attaches automatically and belongs to the creator. Instagram doesn't own the copyright. Instead, you grant it a licence to use your work:

From Instagram's Terms of Use:

We do not claim ownership of your content, but you grant us a licence to use it.

Nothing is changing about your rights in your content. We do not claim ownership of your content that you post on or through the Service and you are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you choose. However, we need certain legal permissions from you (known as a "licence" ) to provide the Service.

[emphasis in original, found at ]https://help.instagram.com/581066165581870]
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
how do i copyright my content logo etc? Also can you recommend me a good website for me to create my own website on please Thanks for all your support

Check out https://www.gov.uk/how-to-register-a-trade-mark

To register a logo
Also squarespace and shopify are great websites to build a generic website from template
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
That's not correct. Except in limited circumstances, copyright attaches automatically and belongs to the creator. Instagram doesn't own the copyright. Instead, you grant it a licence to use your work:

From Instagram's Terms of Use:

We do not claim ownership of your content, but you grant us a licence to use it.

Nothing is changing about your rights in your content. We do not claim ownership of your content that you post on or through the Service and you are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you choose. However, we need certain legal permissions from you (known as a "licence" ) to provide the Service.

[emphasis in original, found at ]https://help.instagram.com/581066165581870]

Good to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending