The Student Room Group

Real life maths problem

This happened to me while shopping for photocopying paper:

A) 400 sheets for £ 5.50

B) 500 sheets for £6.50

C) delux 500 sheets for £7.50

Which is the best value for money? I choose B.

Now I could do the calculations on my phone easily, but I want to do them in my head. I choose B without using my phone. Was I correct?
You got scammed. Don't get me wrong, there's only pennies in it, but unless it is some sort of special offer price (which it can't have been), just spend less now and wait for the offers to come along in about a month's time.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Heatherthebat

A) 400 sheets for £ 5.50

B) 500 sheets for £6.50

Now I could do the calculations on my phone easily, but I want to do them in my head. I choose B without using my phone. Was I correct?

Option B is cheaper than option A, but if option C is giving you 120gr paper as opposed to standard 80gr then it would seem the better deal.
Reply 3

A) 400 sheets for £ 5.50

B) 500 sheets for £6.50

Compariing A and B, B is 25% more paper. There is a £1 difference between A and B and the % price increase is
1/5.5
which is less than 25% as the denominator is larger than 4, so B is the better value.

Or B is 1.3 p per sheet and 400*1.3 = 520, so A is more expensive.

Or ...
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4

A) 400 sheets for £ 5.50

B) 500 sheets for £6.50

What do you mean by "best value"? You can compare A) and B) directly by working out the cost of 2000 sheets (that's 5 packs of A or 4 packs of B), but you can't compare anything with C) unless you attach a value to "deluxe"! On cost alone, B) is "better value" than C) - same number of sheets but lower cost.

Quick Reply

Latest