The Student Room Group

Widening Access

Hello I am applying for uni next year I lived in homeless Acom for 3 months have dyslexia and am undergoing testing for ASD and ADHD my parents have also split and my mother is away to be a full time student meaning I will have to go on free school meals do i qualify for Widening Access as I struggle in school with my dyslexia or no many thanks
All universities set their own criteria for any contextual adjustments to their selection.

You would need to check with them each individually to see what adjustments take place.

Have your school/college got adjustments in place for your dyslexia in exams?
Contextual offers to 'widen participation' are usually made because of your home postcode, sometimes the school you are applying from, or things like Free School Meals, 'in-care' etc. Every Uni is different and you need to search for 'contextual offers' and the name of each Uni to find the specific criteria that Uni uses. Look also for any 'widening participation' summer schools etc that each Uni runs - useful for motivation/skills and often participation can earn you a guaranteed offer etc.

Mitigating Circumstances is consideration given for other stuff that will have had an impact on your studies - bereavement, illness, family disruption etc. This doesnt get you an lower grade offer but may mean a Uni overlooks something like low GCSE grades, or gives you extra consideration if you just miss your offer grades in August. Again, you need to search on the Uni's website to find the relevant info for that Uni - and if you need to complete a form or they will accept a letter from your school explaining your personal circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending