The Student Room Group

gap year, medicine, or neuroscience?

Hi, I'm a year 12 student trying to decide what to do with my life, everyone around me is set on what they want to do and has a clear path in front of them whereas I'm struggling to fully commit to one thing, I've gone through many career aspirations throughout my life so having to make a decision this year has been really difficult for me. I'm considering medicine, but I don't have much experience and am hoping to expand this, another option of mine id neuroscience but without doing a PhD the career prospects aren't all that appealing to me. Another option is to take a gap year to explore different careers and gain more experience and then apply for whatever it is in 2024, the only thing with this is that I'm worried it may be less appealing to universities. I just don't want to make a decision and then regret it in the future and wish I would've made a different choice. Any thought?
Original post by jessicalouisemay
Hi, I'm a year 12 student trying to decide what to do with my life, everyone around me is set on what they want to do and has a clear path in front of them whereas I'm struggling to fully commit to one thing, I've gone through many career aspirations throughout my life so having to make a decision this year has been really difficult for me. I'm considering medicine, but I don't have much experience and am hoping to expand this, another option of mine id neuroscience but without doing a PhD the career prospects aren't all that appealing to me. Another option is to take a gap year to explore different careers and gain more experience and then apply for whatever it is in 2024, the only thing with this is that I'm worried it may be less appealing to universities. I just don't want to make a decision and then regret it in the future and wish I would've made a different choice. Any thought?

Universities have no issues with students taking a gap year - the singular exception is maths at Cambridge where some (but not all) colleges have in the past expressed a preference against them due to the risk of the student's maths skills "going rusty". This is a very specific case and not at all generalisable.

Take a gap year, get more medical work experience to confirm an interest in medicine (or not) and to read around both subjects academically :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Universities have no issues with students taking a gap year - the singular exception is maths at Cambridge where some (but not all) colleges have in the past expressed a preference against them due to the risk of the student's maths skills "going rusty". This is a very specific case and not at all generalisable.

Take a gap year, get more medical work experience to confirm an interest in medicine (or not) and to read around both subjects academically :smile:

Okay, that helps a lot, thank you for your advice :smile:

I get what you mean, I am in a similar situation, I am leaning towards gap year to figure things out, this is ur future so its better to spend extra time thinking about what u want to do then just jumping in when uncertain, after all university isnt free and dont worry, ur not alone . Although most students go straight onto a degree, a large bunch take gap years and there is lots of advise on youtube tc about them , I suggest u look them up so u maximize the potential of a year and remember if u are gonna apply in 2024 then UCAT bookings will prob open during ur exams so remember to book .
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
I get what you mean, I am in a similar situation, I am leaning towards gap year to figure things out, this is ur future so its better to spend extra time thinking about what u want to do then just jumping in when uncertain, after all university isnt free and dont worry, ur not alone . Although most students go straight onto a degree, a large bunch take gap years and there is lots of advise on youtube tc about them , I suggest u look them up so u maximize the potential of a year and remember if u are gonna apply in 2024 then UCAT bookings will prob open during ur exams so remember to book .

yep, thanks for that, i'll take note and use your advice there :smile:
yep, thanks for that, i'll take note and use your advice there :smile:

your welcome and i totally get what u mean, it can be daunting to decide ur future, especially when everyone seemingly has it under control , but remember u are u and ur on ur own journey, no one will have gone through the exact same stuff as u , so u can only make the decision best for u at the time:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending