The Student Room Group

Anxiety, diabetes and the pgce !

I have type 2 diabetes, completely under control, doesn’t affect my whatsoever, I do take citalopram for anxiety but rarely experience anxiety , to the point I’ve discussed coming off it with my doctors , no one I know would have a clue that I take it and I definitely don’t need any reasonable adjustments ‘/ I’m scared I might get rejected for the pgce because of it! Help!
Hi Caroline,

I really wouldn't worry about this - I would imagine if your application was rejected due to the health issues you mentioned, it would fall under discrimination in the Equality and Diversity Act. (So Universities would definitely avoid doing this!)

Universities have whole teams dedicated to supporting the health and wellbeing of their staff and students.

If you are still concerned however, you don't need to disclose this information during your application, or at any point in your student journey - it's entirely up to you. You are always in control of your private medical data.

Good luck and I hope you have a brilliant university experience.

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Reply 2
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hi Caroline,

I really wouldn't worry about this - I would imagine if your application was rejected due to the health issues you mentioned, it would fall under discrimination in the Equality and Diversity Act. (So Universities would definitely avoid doing this!)

Universities have whole teams dedicated to supporting the health and wellbeing of their staff and students.

If you are still concerned however, you don't need to disclose this information during your application, or at any point in your student journey - it's entirely up to you. You are always in control of your private medical data.

Good luck and I hope you have a brilliant university experience.

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.

Thank you so much for your kind reply., I appreciate it :smile:
Your welcome and good luck!

Original post by Carolinegeary
Thank you so much for your kind reply., I appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Carolinegeary
I have type 2 diabetes, completely under control, doesn’t affect my whatsoever, I do take citalopram for anxiety but rarely experience anxiety , to the point I’ve discussed coming off it with my doctors , no one I know would have a clue that I take it and I definitely don’t need any reasonable adjustments ‘/ I’m scared I might get rejected for the pgce because of it! Help!

As a teacher who also has anxiety and takes medication to help with anxiety don’t worry about this affecting your PGCE applications.

They cannot discriminate due to medical conditions if they don’t compromise your ability to do the job (goes with any employer/education institution).

While you might be asked to disclose any conditions you have, this is so the university and schools are able to make reasonable accommodations for you.

Good luck with your applications!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending